ngk spark plugs what are my options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ngk spark plugs what are my options

Okay I have nitrous on my car today I went and got my new belt tensioner from auto zone installed on my car by my mechanic for 130 dollars and I askd him to install my ngk spark plugs and I would pay him but he said its to hard. My car is a 98 camaro but what are my options I bought these spark plugs for about 20 dollars a long time ago and I wanna get them put in but paying 150 and 200 dollars is a lot plus when you have nitrous supposedly you have to change the plugs after a certain amount of runs and I refuse to pay that everytime I have to change them. Where exactly are the spark plugs and can I do this without jacking up the car and engine

Re: ngk spark plugs what are my options

If you don't have any car mechanical skills, then I would have a mechanic do it. I know alot say that changing the spark plugs on stock manifolds can be hard. If you mess up and snap a spark plug off, you'll be spending money to have it towed to a mechanic. I'm just guessing from your questions that your mechanical skills are not up to changing them. You would probably have to change them twice a year, thats if your running the correct A/F and timing, thats about what I do is twice a year. I have RK Sport headers and I can change mine out in 30 mins at the most. I don't know about stock maniflods, but I wouldn't pay to change out spark plugs, look at where they are and see if you are up to changing them out , once you do it , you'll be able to do it eveytime. But you do need the TR6's in there for the nitrous.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

yeah I know I need the spark plugs for the nitrous but my situation is getting the plugs in and after I fill my bottle up three times then I gotta pay again thats why I wanna know how to install them myself I know Im gonna need a spark plug ratchet. If I could just pay 150 and never have to worry about changing the plugs for a year or two then it would be okay but at that rate I could pay for a turbo charger and a cam if I went that route

Comment

A tech once told me...you never learn if you don't try.

With that...I swapped my plugs 5 years ago in about 6 hours on my back. They are hard, but not impossible. Bring a lot of bandages and time.

Stock manifolds in 98 and 99 are the worse to change...they got easier in 2000. If you had headers...then a swap is only 30 minutes.

You choice...save some money and shed some blood (literally) or pay someone. There's something about doing the job yourself that makes you feel like a :rock:

Comment

Yeah, I did my 98 a while back, stock manifolds.
          5 hours for plugs, wires and coils, but a lot of bull****ting inbetween.

If you go for it, swivel joints are good.
          Oh, the spark plugs are in the cylinder head.

Comment

Originally posted by Christopherrr View Post
            A tech once told me...you never learn if you don't try.

With that...I swapped my plugs 5 years ago in about 6 hours on my back. They are hard, but not impossible. Bring a lot of bandages and time.
            You forgot beer also. :)
            '99 Mountaineer AWD 5.0 - 4300K HID, Some Bolt-ons
            '97 RS - HPTuner, Bolt-ons
            '09 WRX - Aesthetic mods

Comment

As you said earlier you don't like to pay.

Use that as your motivation to get the job done.

BTW get some peroxide to go with those bandaids;)
              Last edited by transamtom1; 09-05-2008, 07:15 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

I love paying thats not a problem but having to pay that amount to get them changed is crazy. Think about it imagine paying for a v8 swap and having to pay someone every three months to put in a new engine when you can learn to do it yourself especially if its something you know you are gonna have to do. What if oil changes were 300 dollars then Im pretty sure everyone would try to learn how to do it thereselves because how ofter it has to be done. Im trying to take all the safety precautions before I run this nitrous kit on my car its already installed and everything but these plugs must go in the car before I hit the switch

I was actually hoping someone would say go and buy this tool and this tool and you are set links would help a lot also

Comment

Buy a Haynes manual, and search the forum.
                  08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                  96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by eric v6 View Post
                    I love paying thats not a problem but having to pay that amount to get them changed is crazy.
                    If it was easy then everyone could do it...but not everyone can, so they can charge whatever they want. You either pay or do it yourself...or ride with your current setup. I NEVER met someone who loves paying...seriously.

Originally posted by eric v6 View Post
                    I was actually hoping someone would say go and buy this tool and this tool and you are set links would help a lot also
                    It's problem solving...dive in dude. Everyone approaches repairs and mods differently. Have some faith in your abilities...you might come out impressed at what you can do or what you thought you couldn't do. It's not mapped out for you...you learn it along the way.

Buy some tools...problem solve and do it yourself. Now if you have no earthly idea what you're doing...well, I hope you have deep pockets.

Yes, you need to jack up the car....yes, you'll spend most of the time on your back. Some of the plugs you can get from the top.
                    Last edited by Christopherrr; 09-05-2008, 09:00 PM.

Comment

searched wasnt what I was looking for thanks though I ll keep checking though

Comment

If you don't feel comfortable doing it then don't, you might break a spark plug off, might hit the end where the electrobe is at and mash the gap down lower than .035. There are alot of things that can happen, so I would recommend that you pay someone to do it and watch them so next time you can do it yourself. Also make sure the double check the gap on the plugs before putting them in. They should come pre-gapped at .035 but it is good to double check them before install.

Comment

Maybe hang out at the local cruise in spots and meet some new friends.

Invite them over for a Beer,Pizza and Sparkplug party.Do the sparkplugs first though.;)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X