low oil pressure problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• low oil pressure problem

I have a 94 3.4 5 spd firebird. Has 133k, cold air, stock otherwise.
    My problem is that when i first start driving in the morning im reading 40 to 60psi oil pressure, after about ten mins when the engines warm it drops down to about 5 at idle and 20 to 30 when driving. Im pretty sure thats not normal, what is?
    There is no knock or any noise whatsoever coming from the engine other than a small exhaust leak somewhere. I have a feeling its not the sensor because i feel a difference in acceleration and engine vibration. First thing in morning it runs smooth. Warms up and its rough vibration and slower accel. My oil is full, regular oil changes.
    I do smell oil burning when i get park and get out, its coming from the engine just dont know where, its not bad enough to drip to the cement, i let it sit 2 days and not one drop.
    Any advice i would greatly appreciate, anything i can do til then a thicker oil like 10w40? Lucas?
    thanks

Re: low oil pressure problem

running thicker oil is just going to cover up a potential problem, and may cause further engine damage

also lucas isnt going to do anything good for your engine.

im not familiar with 3.4's so i have no idea what the normal operating temp oil pressure should be

Comment

Re: low oil pressure problem

Still, you need to verify pressure with a mechanical gauge first before doing anything else. If the gauge confirms low pressure, then it's time to investigate further. Don't go tearing into things w/o being absolutely sure that the problem is mechanical.
      2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
      Working...
      X