oil leak somewhere?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil leak somewhere?

ok, so I just finished changing out the valve covers as well as the gaskets as they had leaks. I am pretty sure everything sealed up right. When I started the car up and revved her up a few times I am getting some smoke....but ONLY if you rev it up a few times. I never noticed this before, however, I have also never sat in my driveway reving it looking for smoke...

I have taken a towel and run it along the brim of the valvecover all along the side and front and it didn't seem to have any oil on it...

When I drive the car, park it and get out, I have a smell of burning oil/rubber....just trying to figure out where this can be coming from? Previously I had oil leaking on the y-pipe, I assume it is still leaking from the rear main seal onto the y-pipe....How else can I tell if I am leaking from these covers, or where this smell/smoke may be coming from?

Also, I lost a valve cover screw and rubber thing that attaches to it...where can I get another one? (this is on the opposite side where I don't appear to have a problem)

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Re: oil leak somewhere?

You sure your not just burning off some oil that dripped while you were doing the repair?

Comment

Originally posted by landj View Post
      You sure your not just burning off some oil that dripped while you were doing the repair?
      ^^^ That would be my guess, if you already cleaned the valve cover, after cooler down you could check, or buy a valve cover breather(I have one from ZZP for sell for $15 plus shipping) then you wouldn't have any pressure on those seals. I also have a rear main leak, not too bad it just runs down to the rearend and drips.
      Last edited by ssms5411; 08-31-2008, 01:51 PM.
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by landj View Post
        not sure...that very well maybe the case, except that I still smell it today, not quite as pronounced, but its still smells....

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
        1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

jack the car up, get under the car...wipe eveything...start the car up...and look under the car to see where it's coming from. check your crank, oil pan and rear main seal
          WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

howd you get that bloody engine braket off in the back on the passenger side? some say bend it, some got it off. what did you do?
            Heady Navy Blue Metalic<br />Heady Catback Flowmasters<br />Heady Bilstien HDs, PAnhard rod, LCAs,SFCs<br />NGK\'s and MSD Wires, K&N flowin + Smooth Bellow<br />Y87 3800 GT Performance.<br />I love the way this car makes turns!<br /><br />1989 black Camoaro RS. R.I.P.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X