Where to jack the engine up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to jack the engine up

I'm gonna be installing my new PA racing Kmember hopefully soon. I don't have an engine lift but I was wondering if there was somewhere underneath I could jack the engine up? Someone suggested the bell housing.. which seems like the only viable place but is that strong enough?

TEAM C6V6

Re: Where to jack the engine up

piece of wood on the oil pan

Comment

The bell housing should be strong enough, but maybe running the risk of stretching the threads on the bell housing bolts possibly. Not really sure on that part.

What you could do is put a board on the jack that sits on both the bell housing and oil pan. BUT make sure you put most of the weight on the bell housing to not risk crushing your oil pan. With some weight of the motor being held by the board.
      You need to make sure your really careful though and if there are any signs of to much weight being on the pan, just move the jack back a little more.

I have jacked up motors by the oil pan with a board, but not the whole weight of the motor. Plus it was only a 4 cyl. with most of the weight on an engine mount.

Maybe someone will have a more reliable way of doing what you need, but if I didn't have much to work with, thats what I'd do.

Or, possibly build a jig for the jack that jacks the motor up by the block. That'd be a more reliable solution.

Comment

Oh wow, I didn't want to put a damn thing under the oil pan. Have you guys ever taken those off?? They seem so weak. Maybe I could take the hood off and put a pulley on some support beam in the garage.. ****, I would do that in a heartbeat if it was my garage.

I dunno, any other ideas?

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Rigg up some brace to hold tothe motor from the top side

Comment

Originally posted by Blizzard242 View Post
            Oh wow, I didn't want to put a damn thing under the oil pan. Have you guys ever taken those off?? They seem so weak. Maybe I could take the hood off and put a pulley on some support beam in the garage.. ****, I would do that in a heartbeat if it was my garage.

I dunno, any other ideas?
            i jacked up a 100% iron v8 up with a piece of wood on the oil pan with no damage

the 6's are a hell of a lot lighter

as long as you get a long piece of wood you will be fine, a small piece not much bigger than the jack pad will crush your oil pan

Comment

i have a lift... lol but I also have the engine sitting on a pallet sitting on the oil pan. its fine, nothing has been crushed.

Archer
              MISC: 01 parts. Some interior, T top kit, seats etc.
              http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=95347

Comment

if anything, get 2 jacks, 2 on the oil pan and the other on the bell housing.. distribute the weight a little.. you only need it up just a bit to get the bolts off the k member. then just drop the K.... but at the same time, you need something holding the car up enough..

Archer

Comment

Well, sounds do-able. I've got a jack. 2 stands. some wood. Hm. Sounds like I'm good to go. I need something to do, I've tried to mod my new paintball gun which resulted in creating a full-auto from a semi-auto with a small piece from an ink pen. Problem is, i can't get it to stop firing like that when I release the trigger. That's my new addiction which is why I've even mentioned it.

Anyhoo. Sounds good guys, you gave me the confidence to jack my **** up properly. :D Thanks!

TEAM C6V6

Comment

since your doing the k member , jack it up from the top. your going to need all the room you can get under there.
                    WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

Originally posted by mjbrunsm
                      rent an engine hoist
                      you can just about buy one for the price of renting one

i got one at harbor freight on sale for $120

Comment

do what those east siders do, hoist it from a tree branch. lol

Comment

Go buy some 2x4s and build a truss like support that will go over the car; add a pulley and a come-along and pull the motor up with that.
                          ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
                          A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Comment

just wear a hard hat incase the engine falls. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Archer View Post
                              just wear a hard hat incase the engine falls. lol
                              My gf's brother is one of those east siders. hahaha.. they did exactly that with a tree branch too.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X