Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK, now help with MY A/C

Very strange problem with A/C.

While sitting still (engine running of course) the A/C will run as it's supposed to. Regardless of RPM (Except at WOT) the compressor stays engaged and the coolant fan runs.

When I drive the car, however, the A/C compressor is shut off after a very short drive. (Maybe .3 miles) It will not come back on unless I shut off the car (ignition to OFF) then start the car again. This is repeatable.

Even more interesting is that if you cycle the A/C manualy, it will run as long as you want it too, so long as you cycle it every 15 seconds or so. So while driving: turn on A/C, count to 10 and turn to off, count to 5 and turn to MAX A/C... You can do this forever and it will always come back on.

Monitoring the A/C clutch relay reveals that the signal from the computer is disengaging the clutch. That lead me to a sensor problem so I started monitoring those. I first checked the reference voltage from the PCM which is supposed to be +5 volts. It's at 5.04 volts rock solid.

As far as I know there are only two sensors in the system; the evaporator temperature sensor and the coolant pressure sensor. I've monitored the voltages of these sensors while sitting and driving.

The evap. sensor ranges from 1.2 to 1.4 volts depending on heater fan setting whether sitting or driving.

The coolant sensor ranges from 1.6 to 2.0 volts depending on engine RPM while sitting. The voltage varies between 1.8 and 2.2 volts while driving. I thought this was the most likely cause, except that the compressor doesn't shut off at the high point of this sensor's voltage range. It has shut off at several voltages within this range.

To eliminate these sensors as the cause, I chose a value in the middle of these voltage ranges and held that voltage constant. (with a variable resistor) I got the same result by holding constant either sensor.

So with pressures normal, sensor inputs normal and everything mechanically sound... WHAT AM I MISSING?

Is the computer monitoring a sensor I've not discovered? Does the operation of the A/C require some other input that isn't being met?

Please help me...

got to love or AC's ;)
    2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

This may seem sophomoric, so forgive me, but have you checked the refrigerant levels? I know that there is a pressure switch on these systems and if the refrigerant is getting low it will cause erratic behavior and eventually prevent the compressor from engaging altogether. Its a safety/protection feature to keep the compressor from being damaged due to low refrigerant/oil levels. Hope it helps....I'll keep scratchin' the dome and get back if anything else comes to mind.
      \"this isn\'t flying...its falling...with style!\"<br /> -Buzz Lightyear<br /><br /><br /> 96 bright red firebird, T-tops, monsoon CD Flowmaster catback dual exhaust <br /><br /> <a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/joyfellowship1\" target=\"_blank\">http://members.cardomain.com/joyfellowship1</a> <br /> <a href=\"http://www.joyfellowshipchurch.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.joyfellowshipchurch.com</a>

Comment

Thanks, pastor.

I'll measure the pressures in the system tomorrow... everyone I've asked keeps asking about that, and I'm sure it's alright but you never know, you know?

In any case, I've identified about three other inputs that the computer monitors that might be causing the system to shut down. The ones I have in mind are: the output of the heater fan relay to the computer, the output of the engine coolant fan relay to the computer, and the TPS sensor (throtle position).

I'll check all that tomorrow... too tired... long week... must sleep... [img]redface.gif[/img]

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X