Rough Idle / IAC - MAF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rough Idle / IAC - MAF?

I have searched and searched with no luck so here I go. I have a 2000 Firebird 3.8 with an idle problem. (No Codes have tripped). I also have a K&N and have cleaned and re-oiled once. The idle is better while the car is cold (in open loop) then it is when warm (in closed loop). It idles around 1000. (I don't know right where it should idle.) After warming the engine to closed loop I disconnected the MAF and nothing changed. (Changed plugs and wires - no change. Old plugs looked like engine was running lean - white. I have tried to clean injectors with seafoam in gas - no help). My next thought is the IAC valve but I am not sure if I am looking at the right part. (Please see photo: I think the piece with the red adapter connected to it is the right one but it does not look like what I have seen at the autoshop in the box. Any help would be greatly appreciated as a I love my firebird and want to get her running smoothly again.

[ January 24, 2006, 08:42 PM: Message edited by: BrakeStand ]
    2000 Firebird 3.8L 5 Speed, Whisper Lid (K&N), Magnalfow, Catco High Flow, Hurst Shifter, ZR1 Wheels, Eibach Springs, Bilstein HD Shocks, Adjustable Panhard Bar, EBC Red Stuff Pads, Power Slot Rotors

i stopped at MAF. if you unplugged it and the problem didnt change, what do you think it might be?
    2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

So if the MAF isn't working properly would that cause the lean condition? Is it possible to clean or does it need to be replaced? Anyway I can be certain? (The idle did change, it just didn't get better).

[ January 24, 2006, 08:50 PM: Message edited by: BrakeStand ]
      2000 Firebird 3.8L 5 Speed, Whisper Lid (K&N), Magnalfow, Catco High Flow, Hurst Shifter, ZR1 Wheels, Eibach Springs, Bilstein HD Shocks, Adjustable Panhard Bar, EBC Red Stuff Pads, Power Slot Rotors

Comment

If you used too much oil on the filter it's possible it bled back and coated the MAF wire. There is actually a GM service bulletin on this. So yeah, try cleaning the MAF first (be careful not to damage the wire)
        1994 Firebird 3.4<br />15.65 @ 86.8<br /><a href=\"http://www.funkz.net/firebird.htm\" target=\"_blank\">funkz.net/firebird</a><br /><a href=\"http://mywebpages.comcast.net/funkz/timeslips.htm\" target=\"_blank\">Timeslips</a>

Comment

did you repace your coil packs? Fuel filter! Take off your fuel filter and try blowing through it, in the direcion of the gas flow, it sould blow very easly. I dont think your car has an IAC, you car control the idle with its drive by wire computerized throttle body. My car once warmed up idles at 900rpm Also try your o2 sensers, i replaced mine and cleaned my IAC and my car idles better then i even hoped.
          <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261</a> Green 1997, 105k, all stock except for Z28 front springs, Air shocks in the rear, home made coolant recovery tank, home made battery hold down.

Comment

I replaced the fuel filter in the last month. The auto shops do show an IAC for 2000 firebirds but I don't know if that means anything. I checked again and I do idle around 900rpm. I hope the MAF cleaning takes care of the main problem. Any advice on the best way to clean it? I get not to hurt it but how do I go about that. :)

Comment

just use some throttle body cleaner and be gentle. the stuff inside especially the resistors are fragile.

Comment

just spray brake clener on the maf till all the black stuff comes off never touch it with anything.... let it dry all the way..

dissconnect your battery while you do this... this will reset your fuel trims and give it a few miles to relearn them
                www.turbov6camaro.com
                1997 3800 Series II Camaro
                4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
                7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
                11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

Thanks Viper that was very helpful. Is brake cleaner better then something like Deep Creep? Should I remove the MAF to clean it?

Comment

yes remove it. i dont know what deep creep is but brake cleaner is great cause it doesnt leave a residue

Comment

Ok, new developments. The rough idle persists even after cleaning the MAF. I have also noticed that although the temp gauge usually shows right at operating temp, on occasion it jumps around and sometimes sits really low around 100 cool. If I shut it off and come back it usually jumps right back to normal.

Comment

Re: Rough Idle / IAC - MAF?

Hello,

Did you ever figure out your issue?

Bob

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X