Difference between 95-97 3.8 and 98+ 3.8 - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Difference between 95-97 3.8 and 98+ 3.8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between 95-97 3.8 and 98+ 3.8

Okay, what are the differences in the 98+ 3.8? I am not talking about disc brakes in the rear or a new front clip, im talking about induction, pcm, ...
    Max Shapiro<br />97 Camaro RS<br />-Bright Green Metallic<br />-Tan Leather, T-Tops<br />-3.08\'s, open diff., Automatic 4<br />-Home-Made Cold Air Assembly, Tanza filter<br />-DynoMax Super Turbo Rear Section (2.5\'\')<br />-Hooker (21433) 2.5\'\'in/Dual 3\'\'out Chrome Slash Cut Tips<br />-PolyUrethane Bushings & Endlinks for Front+Rear Sway Bars<br />-Mobil-1 Synthetic 10W-30, 5W-30<br />-Premium Sound System(6 spkrs)<br />-Monsoon 500w CD Head Unit<br />-Firehawks SS20 235.55.R16<p>Awaiting in my garage:<br />3.73s,Zexel Torsen take-off LSD,LS1 Rear Brakes,SLP CAI,3\'\' exhaust piping and 14 SECOND TIME SLIPS!!!

95to 98 3.8s have the same buildup, buut only the 98 has a lid with an elbow bend.

All 95-98s use a bent down TB. And both still use throttle by cable

Comment

In 98 the intake was redesigned to a lid type.

In 99 it went to a straight throttle body instead of the slight angle. Drive by wire throttle also made its debut.

In 2000 they got tubular exhaust manifolds.

The PCM is changed like every year as well. Thats all I got off the top of my head. I"m sure I'm forgetting some stuff.

Comment

Only other thing I can think of is in 99? the thermostat went down by 5 degrees? From what I know almost nothing changed with the exceptions of what has been mentioned here. I may be completely wrong but the manifolds might have changed.
        1998 Red RS 3.8l A4<br /> Whisper - K&N - N20 - 1LE Panhard - Ghetto STB - 255/50ZR16 Ecsta<br /> Removed grille - Limo tint - blackouts - A-pillar cf a/f ratio<br /> Panasonic DF88 - 1 12\" Eclipse 88120.4 - Eclipse 3322 amp<p><a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/raven_rs\" target=\"_blank\">http://members.cardomain.com/raven_rs</a>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by MaxBrightGreen97RS:
          Okay, what are the differences in the 98+ 3.8? I am not talking about disc brakes in the rear or a new front clip, im talking about induction, pcm, ...<hr></blockquote>

See the Technical Database for differences between model years.
          Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Are the 95 3.8l maf or speed density? thanks
            Hot Cammed LT1 Sleeper

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 94-3.4:
              Are the 95 3.8l maf or speed density? thanks<hr></blockquote>

All 3800 Series II engines use a MAF/IAT sensor for cold starts and WOT. At normal operating temperature the heated O2 sensors control everything.
              Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

95-98 equal exactly them same except for 98 had a lid. 99 = 95-98 except it had a straight TB instead of a SEVERLY bent 95-98 version and no longer used wire throttle cable. 2000+ was the same as 99 except it got tublular manifolds as opposed to the cast iron manifolds of the previous years.
                That\'s not a tool that\'s a damn brick!

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by gonein60:
                  95-98 equal exactly them same except for 98 had a lid. 99 = 95-98 except it had a straight TB instead of a SEVERLY bent 95-98 version and no longer used wire throttle cable. 2000+ was the same as 99 except it got tublular manifolds as opposed to the cast iron manifolds of the previous years.<hr></blockquote>

is there an echo in the room?? ;) :D

Comment

Thanks guys, I guess I asked cuz I wanted to know if it would be able to convert from one to the other. I was thinking of doing a 99s or something induction(upper intake w/ TB) and take out the 99's programmer. So maybe i can put in a chip...But that seems like alot of work. Hmm... oh well, thanks for you help anyways...
                    Max Shapiro<br />97 Camaro RS<br />-Bright Green Metallic<br />-Tan Leather, T-Tops<br />-3.08\'s, open diff., Automatic 4<br />-Home-Made Cold Air Assembly, Tanza filter<br />-DynoMax Super Turbo Rear Section (2.5\'\')<br />-Hooker (21433) 2.5\'\'in/Dual 3\'\'out Chrome Slash Cut Tips<br />-PolyUrethane Bushings & Endlinks for Front+Rear Sway Bars<br />-Mobil-1 Synthetic 10W-30, 5W-30<br />-Premium Sound System(6 spkrs)<br />-Monsoon 500w CD Head Unit<br />-Firehawks SS20 235.55.R16<p>Awaiting in my garage:<br />3.73s,Zexel Torsen take-off LSD,LS1 Rear Brakes,SLP CAI,3\'\' exhaust piping and 14 SECOND TIME SLIPS!!!

Comment

In '98-present there is only one o2 sensor after the cat... Where as in 95-97 there are o2's before and after the cat. Everything els seems to have been covered. ;)
                      1997 red 3.8 M5-Daily Driver<br />I/E, Magnaflow cat... <br /><br />1990 Talon TSI AWD-Weekend Warrier<br />Forged internals, Front Mount, SS valves, crower springs, -still under construction. Best stock E.T. 14.3@92--&gt;missing 4th doh!!

Comment

Compression is also a little higher on the 98+ 3.8's. I think its 9.4 on 98+ and 9 on the 95-97. And the intake is also different.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X