qestion about mixing up sparkplug wires - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

qestion about mixing up sparkplug wires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• qestion about mixing up sparkplug wires

hello

about 3 months ago a fellow member(s) told me each coil pack fires 2 times one for each plug,

so if you mixed up the plug wires on that coil would it matter at all????? since it fire it on the exuast and power stoke???????????????

BTW i didn't/ wont' do this i was just wonding [img]graemlins/wavey.gif[/img]
    www.turbov6camaro.com
    1997 3800 Series II Camaro
    4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
    7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
    11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

I was told once that they do indead fire on both intake and exhaust but with a different voltage, if that is the case then yes I woulld think it would matter.
    Remember that sometimes, silence is the best answer.<br />Warren White<br />1996 PoloGreen Coup <a href=\"http://vampyr.settanni.net/\" target=\"_blank\">http://vampyr.settanni.net/</a> <br />\"Jealousy\"<br /> CTFBA member of the month Sept 03

Comment

The electronic ignition system uses a waste spark method of spark distribution. Each cylinder is paired with its opposing cylinder in the firing order. One cylinder on compression fires simultaneously with the opposing cylinder on exhaust. The exhaust stroke spark is referred to as the waste spark.

The spark plugs in the two opposing cylinders are connected to the two secondary terminals of the same ignition coil. The spark voltage appears at the center electrode of one of the spark plugs and jumps the side electrode. The spark voltage then passes through the cylinder head to the other spark plug. At the second spark plug, the spark jumps from the side electrode to the center electrode. The spark then completes the series circuit back to the ignition coil. The high level of energy available from the ignition coil fires both plugs simultaneously. Since the waste spark requires very little voltage to fire, the coil output voltage fires the cylinder that is on the compression stroke.
      Matt
      1998 Mystic Teal Camaro M5
      Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

Originally posted by 98Camaro3.8:
        </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> The electronic ignition system uses a waste spark method of spark distribution. Each cylinder is paired with its opposing cylinder in the firing order. One cylinder on compression fires simultaneously with the opposing cylinder on exhaust. The exhaust stroke spark is referred to as the waste spark.

The spark plugs in the two opposing cylinders are connected to the two secondary terminals of the same ignition coil. The spark voltage appears at the center electrode of one of the spark plugs and jumps the side electrode. The spark voltage then passes through the cylinder head to the other spark plug. At the second spark plug, the spark jumps from the side electrode to the center electrode. The spark then completes the series circuit back to the ignition coil. The high level of energy available from the ignition coil fires both plugs simultaneously. Since the waste spark requires very little voltage to fire, the coil output voltage fires the cylinder that is on the compression stroke.
        </font>[/QUOTE]cool so it would thanks, just wondering
        www.turbov6camaro.com
        1997 3800 Series II Camaro
        4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
        7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
        11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X