Carbon Buildup And Throttle Body

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbon Buildup And Throttle Body

Alright, I have my TB off and noticed the butterfly doesnt sit flat, or completly vertical. It has a slight tilt to it. Is that normal? Also I cleaned the carbon of it, but it procedes into the intake of the engine. How can I clean that out? Thanks,
    John

I removed my TB, dis-assembled it, and thouroughly cleaned it. Car ran 5x's better. Yes, the butterfly has a slight angle to it so that it allows air to pass through at idle. If you totally blocked it, the engine would run purely on gas alone and stall.

To clean the rest of the intake without taking everything apart, try seafoam.

ps: don't post any questions about seafoam. There are TONS of posts about it already, and the mods get pissed. Do a search for the instructions and where to buy it.

Good luck,
    Marc
    sigpic

Comment

ITs worth taking the TB off and thoroughly cleaning it, helped my 3.4L alot, I am even contemplating it on my '00 since it has 40k miles...

Comment

You need to kill your EGR after you clean the tb.
        \'85 Z28, T-tops new LG4 and TH700<br />\'85 3.4L 5-speed<br />mods: <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/oil_pan_4\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/oil_pan_4</a> the nitrous exhaust O2 safety, pg 3. <br />Areo space materal engineer wantabe

Comment

Kill the EGR? Also, I have run sea foam, I did it in the Brake vacuum line. Can I pour it in the throttle intake?

And thanks about the TB angle. I never though of that. :hitsselfonhead:

Comment

TTT: I need to put the TB back on and still dont know if I should do anything about the black stuff in the intake manifold. Anyone? Thanks,
            John

Comment

Only thing I did was sprayed throttle body cleaner inside of the intake when the tb was off. After I sprayed the inside, I got a rag and stuck my hand in there to wipe most of the heavy stuff out. I couldn't get my hand in too far though because it wouldn't fit, so in came my fiance and I gave her the chore :D She wasn't too happy about it, so I had to bribe her with dinner at her fav restaurant.
              My point; There's a soulution for everything, just stop and think for a minute. ;)

-Marc
              sigpic

Comment

I didnt want to start spraying **** into the intake manifold that wasnt supposed to be in there. When it goes in the TB it comes out the when wiped, but I like to ask before spraying **** into my engine.

Comment

Originally posted by oil pan 4:
                  You need to kill your EGR after you clean the tb.
                  Why I cleaned my Tb several times, and my EGR was, and still is working fine for the new owner with 130,000+ miles on the original EGR.

You can spray stuff into the intake just make sure you know what it is, they have upper intake cleaners, that you spray in the intake manifold. Just don't use something like generic engine degreaser. Also avoid hitting your MAF.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X