Engine running much, much hotter than normal. - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine running much, much hotter than normal.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine running much, much hotter than normal.

Hi fellas.

My 98 Camaro has, as of a few days ago, been running quite hot. Very nearly into the red. I've never run it long enough to see if it overheats. Usually, the engine will start to flirt with the 210 mark on the thermometer if I'm stuck in traffic, but this happened while I was doing 65 on the interstate.

What happened was I glanced at the temperature guage (which I watch like a hawk ever since I blew up my 4 banger mustang) and saw I was nearly into the red, so I pulled over and turned off the car. Instinctually, I poured some water from some water bottles I had into the reservoir, then sat and let it cool back down to below 210. After that I started her back up and resumed driving, and the temperature dropped pretty quickly. After about 5 minutes, however, it started creeping back up, until eventually it was again flirting with the red, so I pulled over again and eventually limped home by feeding water into it whenever it got too hot.

I thought certain I was leaking coolant. But I took it to the shop on Friday, and they said today they let it idle for hours and it never got much past 210, and also that they observed no coolant leakage.

As I was driving it back from the shop, sure enough, the temperature started to skyrocket again. So for some reason it only threatens to overheat when I'm not idling.

The car hasn't actually overheated, as I'm too scared to let it get to that point.

Anybody got any ideas?

Re: Engine running much, much hotter than normal.

I'd start with the basics. check for any debris on the radiator, swap the t-stat (10 minute job, $8 part). Do you still have your air dam on? Coolant look good? No oil mixed in? Oil look good? No coolant mixed in?
    <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.chitownracing.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.chitownracing.com</a>

Comment

are your coolant temp sensors functioning properly?

Comment

Originally posted by Bird_Of_Prey View Post
        I'd start with the basics. check for any debris on the radiator, swap the t-stat (10 minute job, $8 part). Do you still have your air dam on? Coolant look good? No oil mixed in? Oil look good? No coolant mixed in?
        Oil looks good, coolant looks good. What's an air dampener? How do I know if my coolant temp sensors are functioning properly?

I'll switch out the thermostat and see what happens.

THanks.

Comment

The air dam is the piece of black plastic under your radiator that directs air up towards your radiator. It's about 4 feet wide and 5 inches tall.
          <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.chitownracing.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.chitownracing.com</a>

Comment

Originally posted by Bird_Of_Prey View Post
            The air dam is the piece of black plastic under your radiator that directs air up towards your radiator. It's about 4 feet wide and 5 inches tall.
            hey you might be on to something there. I bet he doesn't even have one anymore. It would make sense with the overheating happening at those speeds.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
              New Owner!
              by LETZRIDE
              I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
              2 days ago
            • ssms5411
              Little work today
              by ssms5411
              Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
              2 weeks ago
            • LETZRIDE
              Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
              by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
              Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
              By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
              Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
              02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X