VERY dumb question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VERY dumb question

Ok, don't call me a moron,but i have always liked cars, but one thing i have never known was what is the difference between a Big-block, small-block, short block, long-block?
    1999 Chevrolet Camaro Z28<br />1987 Buick Grand National

A big bock has a big block, a small block has a small block, a short block has a short block, and a long block has a long block ;)

EDIT: (I'll try to actually answer the question)
    A short block is a partially assembled engine that includes the pistons, connecting rods and crankshaft.

A long block has the cylinder heads and valve train added to the short block.

[ March 23, 2002: Message edited by: HAZ-Matt ]</p>
    Matt<br />2000 Firebird<br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums/index.php?\" target=\"_blank\">FullThrottleV6.com</a>

Comment

big block engines have larger outer dimensions than small blocks do. they take up more physical area inside the engine bay and generally have larger displacements than small blocks do.
      2001 Arctic White Firebird<br />T-Tops, 3.42 rear gear stock<br />Mods:K&N Air Filter,Whisper Air Induction Lid, maf screen removed, raised air box, Kumho Ecsta 712 255-50-ZR16 tires, BMR stb<br />Mods not installed yet: FTRA, SLP Lsd/Differential cover<br />Near Future Mods: HPP3, GMMG 3\" Exhaust , 1LE Swaybars, Transgo Shift Kit, MSD-DIS-4 w/ Accel Coil-Packs, Turquoise Blue Neon Underbody Kit, BMR Adj. LCA\'s, G2 Sfc\'s & V-braces, Pacesetter headers

Comment

My replies are not welcome nor are they of any use to this board, or to the human race itself.

Hollah (if you hear me, that is) :rolleyes:

[ March 24, 2002: Message edited by: Fin ]</p>

Comment

Big Blocks are larger displacement and are made for larger cubic inches. SMall blocks are smaller displacement and are smaller cubic inches. Most of the time small blocks range from 260-400, and the big blocks pick up from 380-500+. Mostly though its just a difference in big blocks are build more heavy duty, larger heads, that sorta thing. Then u have pontiac, where its just a pontiac block, but they are pretty much big blocks 350-455, yes a 350 big block. also remember big blocks come from the muscle car area where they didnt have todays technology to hop up smaller motors, so they just made larger blocks for more HP. Today our car companys can use more advance technology and get good HP out of smaller displacement V8s and V6s. hope this essay helps. lol
          97\' Black Firebird W68<br />mods as of yet- home depot CAI, Dynomax exhaust, 255 Yokohama tires

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 97fbird38:
            Big Blocks are larger displacement and are made for larger cubic inches. SMall blocks are smaller displacement and are smaller cubic inches. Most of the time small blocks range from 260-400, and the big blocks pick up from 380-500+. Mostly though its just a difference in big blocks are build more heavy duty, larger heads, that sorta thing. Then u have pontiac, where its just a pontiac block, but they are pretty much big blocks 350-455, yes a 350 big block. also remember big blocks come from the muscle car area where they didnt have todays technology to hop up smaller motors, so they just made larger blocks for more HP. Today our car companys can use more advance technology and get good HP out of smaller displacement V8s and V6s. hope this essay helps. lol<hr></blockquote>

So, are 3.8's are a big block? Does this mean that when someone tells me they got a 350, i have a bigger engine?
            1999 Chevrolet Camaro Z28<br />1987 Buick Grand National

Comment

a V6 is a 231 3.8 liter, a Z28 is a 350 5.7 Liter. A Z28 is alot larger in cubic Inches
              Dont call me chief.<br /><br />2001 Camaro Convertible Rs Replica<br />1991 Acura Legend

Comment

The 3.8s are a 232 block, thus being a small block. No the 350s are bigger. A 350 = 5.7L. Sound like a familiar engine now? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Chinese proverb about stupid questions:

He who ask question is fool for 5 minutes...
                  He who never ask question is fool forever...
                  [img]graemlins/fluffy.gif[/img]
                  To all those out there with supposed stupid questions, there is no such thing. Don't be afraid to ask if you don't know, we all gotta learn some time :cool:
                  <a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/maniacls1\" target=\"_blank\"><b>2001 Firehawk #155 of 504 -M6</b></a><br />437 RWHP / 404 RWTQ -Dynojet (heads/cam)<br />12.34 @114 mph 1.7 60\' (bolt-ons only)<br />12.47 @116 mph 2.0 60\' (street tires, heads/cam)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X