Need help with 3.4 misfire on cylinder 6 - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help with 3.4 misfire on cylinder 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with 3.4 misfire on cylinder 6

94 Camaro stumbles when accelerating from a stop. When car is cold it blows a lot of blue smoke until it warms up. Has a raw gas smell coming from the exhaust. I pulled all the plugs and they look fine except for cylinder six. I checked the wire and am getting a good spark. Put a new plug in and it still misfires. The old plug was sooty greasy black and had a strong gas smell. I plan on doing a compression test tomorrow.

In the meantime, does anyone have any ideas on what could be wrong?

Re: Need help with 3.4 misfire on cylinder 6

replace plugs and wires, see if that works.

Comment

Plugs and wires only have about 2k miles on them except for #6 which I just replaced. Car ran fine until recently. It's my daughter's car so I don't know if it was doing anything before it started doing this.

I was hoping that someone here would recognize this problem point me in the right direction.

Comment

could be bad plugs, burnt wires, bad coil pack.... these things are generally associated with misfiring.

Comment

I'm guessing a bum injector. I can't remember which one is the usual one to go bad, but something about heat off of the ERG or exhaust manifold causes one of the injectors to go bad faster than the others. My guess is that it's sticking open. If you are getting a code for a cylinder bank, switch the injector around and see if you get a code for the other side.

BUT I definitely agree that the wires and plugs are a very good place to start.

Comment

sounds like either a bent rod or blown intake gaskit

Comment

Blue smoke sounds like oil getting into the cylinder(s). Pull the valve cover on the side with #6 and see if the oil drains are clogged in the head.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442 View Post
                Blue smoke sounds like oil getting into the cylinder(s). Pull the valve cover on the side with #6 and see if the oil drains are clogged in the head.
                umm where are the oil drains??

Comment

Originally posted by tkoforpresident View Post
                  umm where are the oil drains??
                  At the ends of the head in the front and back.
                  sigpic

Comment

Compression test shows cylinder 6 first compression stroke at 100 psi then subsequent strokes at 50 - 70 psi. I squirted some oil into the cylinder and reran the test, first stroke 170 psi then back to 50 - 70 psi. Looks like I have a bad ring. Anybody know what would cause the rings on only one cylinder to go bad?

Comment

When you do a compression test crank the engine until the gauge stops moving. Usually 3 or 4 rotations. Then you need to do the other cylinders as well, so you can compare them.
                      sigpic

Comment

yea dude your doing it wrong do you live in NJ? I'll come do it for you

Comment

Originally posted by nightrider2 View Post
                          yea dude your doing it wrong do you live in NJ? I'll come do it for you
                          My compression tester keeps the reading for the highest pressure so when I crank over the engine it hits 100psi on the first crank and stays there. If I keep the engine cranking and reset the gage the best it will do is 50 - 70 psi.

I checked #4 and it is consistently 120psi. I haven't done the others yet because I'm not sure if I'm going to fix or junk it. The sad part is I just rebuilt the transmission less than 200 miles ago.

How hard is it to pull the head with the engine still in the car?

Comment

You go with the reading after several revolutions with out resetting the gauge. If there is only 20 PSI difference in the cylinders I would start looking somewhere else for the problem.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442 View Post
                              You go with the reading after several revolutions with out resetting the gauge. If there is only 20 PSI difference in the cylinders I would start looking somewhere else for the problem.
                              That's what I did. On #6 the gage reads 100 on the 1st revolution then drops to between 50 and 70 and stay there. On #4 the gage reads 120 and stays there.

I think what's confusing everbody is that my gage is old and has a feature that isn't found on the modern stuff.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                                New Owner!
                                by LETZRIDE
                                I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                                2 days ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Little work today
                                by ssms5411
                                Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • LETZRIDE
                                Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                                by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                                Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                                By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                                Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                                02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X