FWD 3800 II motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: FWD 3800 II motor

Well I found a PCM and the wiring harness for a 3800 series II but it's for a 1996 F-body, and the engine that is in the car that I bought is a 1999 3800 series II will there be any problems with the PCM and engine wiring harness not fitting or it throwing out codes?

Comment

You will need to change the intake to the 95-98 cable controlled throttle. The other sensors should be the same.
      sigpic

Comment

thanks. so i would have to buy all the parts from a 95-98 f-body and install the on my camaro.

Comment

Yep including the transmission. You may still have issues with the speedometer working afterwards. The 3.8 speedometer is controlled by the PCM.
          sigpic

Comment

Ok I have a 3.4L so i would need a tranny for the 3800 because my tranny will not fit on the 3800.

Comment

actually....... it will bolt up. They each have the 60* bell housing pattern. The best thing to do is try to get as many parts to 96(or suitable sub) as you can. Not sure if the bcm will be an issue, don't think so but then I don't have the holy book haynes in front of me either for wiring schematics. Speaking of, study them. Also, teh oil filter adaptor needs to be switched to an f-bod, otherwise the swaybar will prevent the oil filter from being installed.
              1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
              2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
              94 comero 3.4

Comment

I have been looking at the Haynes manual and it seems that the tranny from the 3.4L and the 3800 are the same bolt pattern. Not sure what else is different from the tranny though they seem to be the same in the book.

Comment

Isn't the VSS different on 3.4 and 3.8 cars just because the years?
                  sigpic

Comment

I don't know about that. Maybe they are but I don't really think so, if someone can clarify this it would be great.
                    Last edited by insaneABOT; 04-10-2008, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X