Project finished, doesn't look good. - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Project finished, doesn't look good.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project finished, doesn't look good.

Well, for those of you who know i installed new rocker arms, pushrods, and top end gaskets on my 3.4 doing myself all the work involved with the project, taking everything apart and putting it all back together. Following everything down to a T with instructions, often asking help from you guys. Well, everything is finally put back together. I started the car and it choked along for a little bit and smoke started coming from the engine bay, but not too much and then it started to overheat so i put some more coolant in (i was short 4 quarts) and started it again. this time there was no smoke and it did not overheat but as before it was choking and sputtering violently. When the gas pedal was touched it really started choking. The longer i let it run the worse it gets. It idles high at 1700 rpm for a little bit then drops down to anywhere between 1200 and1500, changing contantly. Oil pressure differs but generally stays above 60 psi.

Now i realize there could be a number of things wrong since i disconnected nearly everything in the process. But let me start with what i do know.

1. no codes yet (i can't drive it til i get it off of jack stands.)
    2. it's "possible" that i may have burnt one of the spark plug wires in the process with a blow torch.
    3. I replaced all gaskets (valve cover, lim, uim, egr) and torqued to all correct specifications.
    4. "new" thiings that were added in this project include a P&P Throttle body, alternator underdrive pulley, 1.6 roller rockers, matching pushrods, new 02 sensor.)

5. i KNOW 5 of the injectors are seated in the ports correctly but i can't see the 6th injector, however i do not see or smell gas prodominentley.

6. The whole upper end of the engine shakes pretty hard while running.

I really need help getting this fixed. Can we start with the basics? exhaust leak? fuel problem? What could cause this rough running problem? keeping in mind the project that i did.

thank you for any help or ideas, i hate regretting that i did this project.

thanx

max

Re: Project finished, doesn't look good.

any ideas here?

Comment

vacuum leak possibley. check your lines and rubber boots for cracks. Could have installed to a wrong one or shorted a wire to an injector(s) if it's not obvious though with the electrical I'd bet on a vacuum leak.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

I'm no mechanical expert, but...
        The surge sounds like MAF sensor problem...do you have a different one to test?
        Burnt up spark wire would definetly cause a problem without SES, that's cheapest/easiest to eliminate.
        Next easiest is check 6th injector, possible vacuum leak.
        Intake gasket leak sound possible also.
        I'm also wondering about the adjustment on the rockers/push pods...valves not opening or closing properly would be a problem.

...also, make sure you've got the spark plug wires setup to correct sylinders.

Comment

Originally posted by 99v6bird View Post
          I'm no mechanical expert, but...
          The surge sounds like MAF sensor problem...do you have a different one to test?
          Burnt up spark wire would definetly cause a problem without SES, that's cheapest/easiest to eliminate.
          Next easiest is check 6th injector, possible vacuum leak.
          Intake gasket leak sound possible also.
          I'm also wondering about the adjustment on the rockers/push pods...valves not opening or closing properly would be a problem.

...also, make sure you've got the spark plug wires setup to correct sylinders.

first off thank you for the advice.

second, i don't have a maf since its a 3.4

it would be nearly impossible to check the 6th injecor for a vaccum leak since it is not visible at all. plus wouldn't my rpms be higher if i had a vacuum leak? they still idle around 1200 where it used to, but it does throb and fluctuate quite a bit.

in regards to the gaskets, i believe i put them all in correctly with proper torque etc. however i am not 100% on the plenum gasket because it was so hard to hold in place.

in regards to the rocker adjustment we made sure THAT was done correctly. we followed the haynes manual and adjusted them properly by cranking the engine over, in fact, the LIM was off so i could look at the lifters so i could see that the ones we adjusted were right in the middle of the cam lobe.

Comment

sorry about the maf idea...was thinking 3.8
            I'd double-check plug wires at this point.

Comment

yeah my uncle is comin over tomorrow with a diagnostic tool so before i do any guess work we'll see if there is anything we can figure out first but i will keep this updated.

Comment

Maybe you over tightened some of the rocker arms in reassembly???

Did this on my '92 RS 305TBI after a top end rebuild and ran HORRIBLY!!!... took off valve covers, started it, backed off all rocker arms till slightly chattering, tightened each till no noise and an additional 1/2 or maybe 1/4 turn (not positive which one) and ran beautifully afterwards...

I could definetly be wrong tho... :(

BTW... I also followed the Haynes manual and ran into this problem...
                Last edited by Slave One; 03-28-2008, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Is it backfiring through the throttle body?
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Slave One View Post
                    Maybe you over tightened some of the rocker arms in reassembly???

Did this on my '92 RS 305TBI after a top end rebuild and ran HORRIBLY!!!... took off valve covers, started it, backed off all rocker arms till slightly chattering, tightened each till no noise and an additional 1/2 or maybe 1/4 turn (not positive which one) and ran beautifully afterwards...

Could definetly be wrong tho... :(

let me tell u the procedure we did.

first we took off the valve covers, rocker arms, pushrods and lower intake manifold.

then we installed the new pushrods and rocker arms, lubing them liberally with either fresh motor oil or moly based grease. Then the manual says to crank the engine til you get to the correct firing position for cylinder # 1, we did this and then tigtened down all the rockers for that position. When we could not turn the pushrods anymore, at that point we tightened them a 3/4 turn. Then we cranked the engine once more and tightened all the other possible ones. We did it correctly imo because we could easily see the lifters with the LIM off and could see that the ones we were tightening were in fact at the correct position on the cam lobes.

Now i understand not adjusting these properly would be the meat and potatoes of my problem but i really want to reiterate that i feel we adjusted these correctly and that they are not the sole cause for the problem.

thanx

max

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442 View Post
                      Is it backfiring through the throttle body?

how can i tell if it is backfiring through the tb??

Comment

Well just to let you know... i followed that same exact procedure (even tightening till you cant roll the pushrod between your fingers) and was confident I did it right also...

Talked to my family mechanic and he suggested doing it while running with valve covers off, only real way to know if its done right. I did, and it worked great for me...

Comment

Originally posted by Slave One View Post
                          Well just to let you know... i followed that same exact procedure (even tightening till you cant roll the pushrod between your fingers) and was confident I did it right also...

Talked to my family mechanic and he suggested doing it while running with valve covers off, only real way to know if its done right. I did, and it worked great for me...
                          i can't run my car with the valve covers off, the LIM must come off first.

Comment

Well that sux... never worked on a 3.4 b4 :P

Comment

Originally posted by tkoforpresident View Post
                              how can i tell if it is backfiring through the tb??
                              Take the air cleaner tubing off.

I'm betting you have the valves adjusted wrong. Not many people understand how to do it right.
                              sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X