Bypass A/C compressor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bypass A/C compressor?

Okay, so my AC hasnt been cold for over a year now. The compressor is making a really bad grinding/ rattling noise. I took it to the shop, the compressor is shot. They want pretty big money to replace it. Is there a way to bypass the ac compressor with a shorter belt? Or should I just delete it all together? The sound is driving me crazy and if it seizes and breaks my belt I'm screwed. Any suggestions?

Re: Bypass A/C compressor?

Pretty sure there is a A/C delete pulley that replaces the compressor... never bought one and not sure where to get it though...

Comment

Well it looks like people have done it. But I'm not sure about the belt size and how to route it..

Comment

just did a fast drawing for you.

the first on is the stock belt rt.

what you want to do is take the ac compressor out. and change the pully right above the comp. to a ripped pully. then the second pic is the new rt. j

to find out the size of the new belt just get a long piece of string. and make it go the new belt rt. then messure it and get one that is alitttle smaller.

WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...=558&catid=111

that should be the ac deete pulley
          96 camaro auto base model<br />slp cai<br />pacesetter headers<br />flowmaster catback<br />35th anniversary ss wheels<br />richmond 3.73<br />98+ ss spoiler<br />hypertech 160 degree thermostat<br />transgo shift kit

Comment

this is for a 3800 correct? there is a pic of the routing somewhere around here, as I did it whenI swapped in a 3800 into my 85 bird. lemme see if I cain find it........

edit: http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread...ighlight=80%25
            1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
            2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
            94 comero 3.4

Comment

Hey 3.4, just did the AC delete myself and I want to get rid of the whole bracket with the idler pulley cause its just tacky without the compressor on there. I'd rather not chop it up either just incase I decide to put it back on for whatever reason. Anywhoo. Is that a different sized tensioner pulley in those old pics?

TEAM C6V6

Comment

if you get that pully you would have just wasted 40 bucks. to get just the pully at advanced or autozone is only a couple bucks. you don't need that metal bracket that its mounted on.
                WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

Still trying to get the right belt size...its either two tight or slips off.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris2088 View Post
                    Still trying to get the right belt size...its either two tight or slips off.
                    Mine is usually three tight.. Weird.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Okay, finally got it. Changed the idler to a grooved pulley and an 81inch belt. Works perfect.

Comment

Glad ya got it right dude. I dont see why there wouldnt just be a straight swap delete pulley. all i had to do with the 4.3 in the Astro was pull the compressor, and mount up a 3 bolt bracket with a pulley, stock belt and all worked perfect...

speakin of which, i need to delete my A/C as well

Comment

Originally posted by 95astrovan View Post
                          Glad ya got it right dude. I dont see why there wouldnt just be a straight swap delete pulley. all i had to do with the 4.3 in the Astro was pull the compressor, and mount up a 3 bolt bracket with a pulley, stock belt and all worked perfect...

speakin of which, i need to delete my A/C as well
                          There is one. We just don't want to buy it.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X