Can O2 Sensors be Cleaned?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can O2 Sensors be Cleaned?

I have been trying alot of things to improve gas milage. New fuel filter, radiator flush, alignment, tire press., plugs, seafoam in vacuum, ect. I took off my oxygen sensors the other day and noticed that the tips were an oxidized/rusty brown color, but expected due to their location. I was going to buy new ones, so I went to Advanced auto parts to buy a O2 socket tool. The salesman told me to just clean the sensors with carburator cleaner to remove deposits. He said that the only reason that O2 sensors go bad is because of carbon build up. That replacing them is a waste of money and a way to rip off consumers. I was wondering if this is b.s. Besides testing the electrical resistance method, how else could I tell if they are bad. Do they set off a SES light if they go bad?
    Moroso CAI<br />Flowmaster 40 Delta

bah... normally you can do that with an EGR valve ( clean it with carb cleaner) because it's an actual physical buildup of carbon that causes it's failure. the valve will usually physicaly sieze. ( unless of course the diaphragm goes out).

an O2 sensor functions quite differently however and should be a routinely replaced item. They are not terribly expensive and will save you money in the long run.
    Jason<br /><br />\'99 Pewter Camaro<br />\'93 V8 S-10

Comment

Well I had a bad cat and the car died and wouldn't run (would start and run for 1-2 seconds then die). Had it towed to the dealer (all covered under extended warranty). The dealer said the rear O2 sensor was clogged from the bad cat and they cleaned it. The car ran just fine after that so I would venture to say O2 sensors can indeed be cleaned.

(The dealer ordered a new OEM cat for me but I ended up buying a 3" CATCO instead).
      SLP CAI, K&N, Whisper Lid, 180* thermo, manual fan switch, 3.42 gears, Auburn Pro LSD, Wester\'s PCM Tuning, TSP Rumbler, High Flow Cat. Best Time: 9.909@71.58 (1/8 mile)

Comment

You can clean them but its not gonna help too much. Also watch out, maybe where clothes alot of thme contain asbestos

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
          New Owner!
          by LETZRIDE
          I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
          2 days ago
        • ssms5411
          Little work today
          by ssms5411
          Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
          2 weeks ago
        • LETZRIDE
          Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
          by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
          Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
          By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
          Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
          02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X