Firewall leak!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firewall leak!

There seems to be some sort of fluid leaking through my passenger-side firewall because the carpet is wet all the way to the rear seat on that side of the car. My first thought was the heater core but I took it in and that checked out ok, my whole cooling system is fine and has lost no fluid. It was raining when I first noticed it so then I thought it might be water leaking in through a window or something. But it hasn't rained in a few weeks now and is still leaking so I'm stumped. Smells really bad too, has anyone experienced this?

2000 Camaro, mt, only option is a/c
    2000 M5, Flowmaster catback, Catco cat

a 2000 leaking like that....

is it coming through the rear hatch and running down under the rear seat?

good luck. that sucks man. i hope it is something simple.
    01 Firebird A4 3.42
    Powerdyne @ 6 PSI
    and other mods
    Visit Project Unleashed for guides and info.

Comment

Does it only get wet when the car is on or off? Check your heater core again. I had one go out on my 94 firebird and it completely soaked the passenger carpeting all the way to the back. Have you been using your A/C? You could have a drain tube/hole clogged which isn't allowing the moisture to escape.
      2006 Tiburon

Comment

Here's a really dumb question: What color is the liquid?

I'd take a white paper town and soak up a bit of the liquid. My guess is that it really is dex-cool leaking from your heater core and the level just hasn't fallen enough to really notice yet.

The heater cores are a pain to check out on our cars. You have to take out your glove box and unscrew the enclosure before you can even fish yourself around to visually inspect it.

Mine decided to let go half-way between San Fran and LA after a couple of weeks of a faint coolant odor. My wife was in the passenger seat and really enjoyed riding with her feet in a puddle of Dex-cool for a few hours. :eek: As you'd imagine, it was an uncomfortable trip.

Replacement heater cores are not incredibly expensive (~$80 at Autozone), but they can be a little awkward to change. Still, it should only take you a couple of hours in the driveway.
        1997 Camaro, Y87 Perf. Package, iRotor Drilled & Slotted Brakes, Bilstien Shocks, Custom drive shaft, K&N Filter, & Mobil 1 synthetic. 202+K miles and still drives like new.<br />-If you can\'t stomp \'em in the straights, kill \'em in the corners...

Comment

just sounds like the AC drain tube is clogged
          2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

My mechanic pressurized my whole cooling system and couldn't find a leak anywhere so I know it's not the heater core. I definitely use the AC here in Tucson, where is the drain tube located? The liquid does seems to be mostly clear.

Comment

I stand corrected.

If it's not coolant, then your A/C is the next likely suspect. That also explains the odor. I've never actually witnessed it first-hand, but from what I've heard, A/C heat exchangers can get to smelling pretty rank after a few years. Pat Goss on motorweek was highlighting a bunch of products to deodorize them a few weeks back, but I've never dug into my Chiltons to see just how I would get to it.

Happy hunting.
              1997 Camaro, Y87 Perf. Package, iRotor Drilled & Slotted Brakes, Bilstien Shocks, Custom drive shaft, K&N Filter, & Mobil 1 synthetic. 202+K miles and still drives like new.<br />-If you can\'t stomp \'em in the straights, kill \'em in the corners...

Comment

It's probably the grommet where the VCM harness goes through. If that comes loose, water will pour in from the rain.

g
                2002 Pewter V6 Camaro M5 <br /><br />Quickest stock-motor N/A V6 4th Gen F-body.<br />2nd Quickest N/A V6 4th Gen F-body overall.<br />mods: Gear, weight reduction, tuning <br /><br />Fear the Gear. 13.585 @ 100.05 1.827 60\'<br /><br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.NJFBOA.org\" target=\"_blank\">www.NJFBOA.org</a>

Comment

Hasn't rained in weeks now and it's still leaking so I know it has to be from the engine compartment. Anyone know where the drain tube is located? near the accumulator or condensor maybe?

Comment

My car had a leak in the firewall. Whenever I drove in any amount of water, I'd get water dripp down the passenger side of the tranny tunnel and into the front passenger carpet area. It also caused the lower tone horn to short out.

It was a warranty fix, but the dealer had to take apart the entire dash to get to the leak. They used silicone caulking to seal the hole.
                    I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

2008 Saturn Sky Red Line - Midnight Blue

Pewter Mafia - 2000 Firebird - SOLD
                    CENTRAL FLORIDA KNIGHTS!!!!!!!
                    FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES !!!!!!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                      New Owner!
                      by LETZRIDE
                      I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                      4 days ago
                    • ssms5411
                      Little work today
                      by ssms5411
                      Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                      2 weeks ago
                    • LETZRIDE
                      Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                      by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                      Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                      By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                      Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                      02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X