For people with rough idle problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For people with rough idle problems

I have an automatic 1994 firebird. I was having a problems with a rough idle. My car would idle around 800 in park and about 600 in drive. I replaced plugs, wires, 02 sensors, gaskets and nothing fixed it. Anyhow to the point...

I decided to try new TPS and IAC. Installed the IAC and there was no change at all. BOO. So I didn't have much hope in the tps, but when I installed the TPS and started the car. WOW it idles at about 1200 in park and right at 900-1000 in drive and idles smooth again!!! I am going to drive this around and test it, but I am pretty certian I fixed it!

Re: For people with rough idle problems

My ECU was throwing a low voltage code for the TPS. :P My car was doing almost the same thing.
    Originally posted by LETZRIDE
    I've never touched a rear end before

Comment

When I bought my 93 Firebird it had the same problem. I replaced the IAC and TPS and it has been perfect ever since, about a year and a half now.

Comment

my carzs got the same problem but i have no idea what the IAC or TPS is can anyone tell what they are

Comment

Originally posted by 94kah-mer-oh
          my carzs got the same problem but i have no idea what the IAC or TPS is can anyone tell what they are
          IAC = Idle Air Control. I'm not sure but I think it's near the intake/throttle body. I know the IAT is Idle Air Temp, but I don't know if it's the same thing. If it is, it's on the bend in the intake elbow. If your piston rings are fried, you'll find oil in the intake elbow coming in through the PCV valve. Sometimes they get coated in oil from said PCV valve and they malfunction. Just clean it off with a sensor safe cleaner. (That is IF the IAC is the same as the IAT. :P) The TPS is the Throttle Positioning sensor. It's on the passenger side of the throttle body. There are 2 star screws holding it in. It's like a $25 part from AutoZone if I remember right.
          Originally posted by LETZRIDE
          I've never touched a rear end before

Comment

Whats the normal RPM our cars should be in during park and idle?
            2001 Firebird 3.8L

Comment

Originally posted by ViperRider
              Whats the normal RPM our cars should be in during park and idle?

mine idles around 1000 rpm

Comment

Good info! Problem --> attempted fixes --> solution. Excellent!

Comment

[QUOTE=turbohead2332;814545]I know the IAT is Idle Air Temp, but I don't know if it's the same thing.[QUOTE]

I always thought that IAT was Intake Air Temp. wouldn't it make more sense for the car to be monitoring the temperature of the air going into the engine rather than the temp of the ambient air at idle?
                  Y87 Package
                  MANUAL CONVERTED, Pro 5.0 Shifter
                  Pacesetters, Magnaflow Cat, Cutout, Flowmaster

MOGOB APPROVED!
                  BONE APPROVED!
                  VANBIBBER APPROVED!
                  KRISTEN APPROVED!

Vice Prez.
                  Team Black...TEAM EMO
                  sigpic
                  Come on kids! Get a Calendar!

Comment

intake air temp = IAT
                    Heady Navy Blue Metalic<br />Heady Catback Flowmasters<br />Heady Bilstien HDs, PAnhard rod, LCAs,SFCs<br />NGK\'s and MSD Wires, K&N flowin + Smooth Bellow<br />Y87 3800 GT Performance.<br />I love the way this car makes turns!<br /><br />1989 black Camoaro RS. R.I.P.

Comment

Originally posted by turbohead2332 View Post
                      IAC = Idle Air Control. I'm not sure but I think it's near the intake/throttle body. I know the IAT is Idle Air Temp, but I don't know if it's the same thing.

NO, they are NOT the same thing. The IAT is in the air ducting BEFORE the TB, the IAC is in the intake manifold AFTER the TB.
                      Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Well my car idles at 1000 but every once in a while it'll start to idle like it has a cam in it. Friend says vaccume leak .... idk?

Comment

Yeah thats a vacuum leak.
                          Y87 Package
                          MANUAL CONVERTED, Pro 5.0 Shifter
                          Pacesetters, Magnaflow Cat, Cutout, Flowmaster

MOGOB APPROVED!
                          BONE APPROVED!
                          VANBIBBER APPROVED!
                          KRISTEN APPROVED!

Vice Prez.
                          Team Black...TEAM EMO
                          sigpic
                          Come on kids! Get a Calendar!

Comment

Originally posted by IwannaCamarosoBad View Post
                            Well my car idles at 1000 but every once in a while it'll start to idle like it has a cam in it. Friend says vaccume leak .... idk?
                            check O2 sesnsors too, mine used to idle like it has a cam, but, when i changed O2 sensors the problem was corrected, mine is a '94 3.4 and O2 sensors for 3.4s are very cheap.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                              New Owner!
                              by LETZRIDE
                              I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                              2 days ago
                            • ssms5411
                              Little work today
                              by ssms5411
                              Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                              2 weeks ago
                            • LETZRIDE
                              Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                              by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                              Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                              By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                              Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                              02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X