Idle Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idle Question

Sometimes when it is cold and my Camaro is idling the rpms will vary be about 100-200 and I know this isn't a lot, but when it does this and the tach is constantly going up and down just the little bit it does, my battery gauge needle is moving and so is my oil pressure gauge. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this happen and what they did to fix it? What I find weird is it doesn't do it all the time when cold, only some of the time and only at idle.

Re: Idle Question

Mine does this at times too, when I first start it, and it'll rev up to around 2k RPM's(Norm is 1k for me). I assume it's something with the computer and cold starts, never been certain.

Anyways, especially when in gear, engine rev will have an effect on Oil Pressure and Current, it's perfectly normal as at idle both will be on the low side and with rev it'll pick up.

Comment

Originally posted by Gatt9
      Mine does this at times too, when I first start it, and it'll rev up to around 2k RPM's(Norm is 1k for me). I assume it's something with the computer and cold starts, never been certain.

Anyways, especially when in gear, engine rev will have an effect on Oil Pressure and Current, it's perfectly normal as at idle both will be on the low side and with rev it'll pick up.
      this isnt the same problem he is having, im betting it isnt normal, because the volt gauge and oil pressure shouldnt move much if it is only moving 200 rpm

Comment

I have similar problems in the cold with my 97 Camaro 3.8 A4
        I live up in Pittsburgh, PA
        If my car is left out in the cold, I notice that when I start it it Idles at about 1400 sometimes it will stay at that idle until i start driving a little. after a minute of driving it goes back down to i'd say 900 RPM at idle
        Sometime the idle at cold start will be very jumpy and it will go from 1000-1400, the tach just goes up and down.
        normally when it's doing that i wait for it to hit a static RPM then I put it in gear
        cold sucks!

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro
          this isnt the same problem he is having, im betting it isnt normal, because the volt gauge and oil pressure shouldnt move much if it is only moving 200 rpm
          Mine don't move a lot, they move about as much as my tach does which is around 200, since it is not digital I dont know the exact number. It idles at around 900 but then jumps a little and goes back down and its pretty quick, it doesnt just go up 200 rpms and stay there.
          Last edited by jnxV6; 02-11-2008, 12:20 AM.

Comment

i also have the same problem, the idle,when cold or hot jumps up or down and the oil gauge also jumps up and down, but my friend told me he had the same problem and he fixed it by getting a new IDLE AIR CONTROL SENSOR, it's the one right after the throttle body on the left, it looks like a pencil when you take it out.($31 fix)

Comment

Originally posted by Richardcoelho View Post
              i also have the same problem, the idle,when cold or hot jumps up or down and the oil gauge also jumps up and down, but my friend told me he had the same problem and he fixed it by getting a new IDLE AIR CONTROL SENSOR, it's the one right after the throttle body on the left, it looks like a pencil when you take it out.($31 fix)
              I will have to look into that, my car hasn't done it much recently, but I bet that part is original.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X