Whining Noise...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whining Noise...

There's a whining noise that comes from somewhere up front, either from the engine or the transmission, I can't pin it down. It goes up and down with the rpm, in gear and in park/neutral. Do the 3.8s have timing gears? I'm trying to figure out if it's the engine or transmission, as this car had the transmission replaced at 13,000 miles, and the warranty runs out on the 29th of March, so if it might be the tranny, I'll get it looked at. Thanks.
    Wife and a dog, they both think they\'re Kujo.<br /> <br />1999 3.8 A4 Y87<br />Navy Blue Metallic<br />BFG G-Force KDWS 275/40/17s, <br />WS6 Wheels (17x9)<br />Phoenix Transmissions 2400 Stall Converter<br />FRA, Holley Powershot filter, Whisper Lid, Ported Throttlebody<br />2000 manifolds, Flowmaster, WS6 Tail Pipes, <br />MSD 8.5mm Wires, MSD Coils, Autolite plugs<br />Performance Cryogenics treated rotors<br />1LE Sway Bars and panhard rod, 1LE front springs w/SLP Bilsteins, stock rear springs w/ 3rd Gen Bilsteins, BMR STB, KBDD SFCs, 1LE rear lower control arms, 1LE front lower control arms<p>1968 Chevelle Malibu 327 TH350

alternator whine????

Comment

If you still have warranty, take it to the dealer. They'll diagnose it and fix it under warranty. Much less of a headache. I wish I had warranty.
      1997 Y87 Camaro with a motor and some stuff.

Comment

Try replacing and/or cleaning the serpentine belt... That was my whine earlier this year but it went away pretty much after doing that.
        2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
        Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

Just tell people you have a supercharger [img]smile.gif[/img]

j/k...

The other day I saw a guy who was racing his ~96 Camaro, and it sounded like a freakin vacuum cleaner. I asked him what was up with it and he said his manifold was cracked. Idiot... I honestly don't think it's good to be racing your car in that condition. Not only that but the guy was running on his spare tire!!
          Kyle M<br />--------------<br /><a href=\"http://grdws6.netfirms.com\" target=\"_blank\">2002 Trans Am WS6</a> (silver, A4) - lid, cutout, stage 3 shift kit, 12 bolt, vig 3200, tranny cooler, bmr sfc/stb, torq thrust ii. <b>12.688 @ 106.47mph -=- 1.756 60\'</b>

Comment

any way to clean the altinator? My is just starting to scream and I don't want to have to replace it if I don't have to.
            White 98 Camaro with t-tops leather and Y87. For more info on mods just ask.<br />1/4=14.9<br />2002 Xterra V6 A4

Comment

I think you can buy some kits to rebuild them.
              <b>.::[ 0 ]::.</b><br /><b>1997 Camaro 3800 II M5</b> (30th edition)<br />[]B&M Ripper Shifter<br />[]Proform Shift Light<br />[]SLP Cold Air<br />[]Dynomax Exhaust<br />[]Richmond 3.73\'s<br />[]Zexel-Torsen LSD<br />[]180* Thermostat<br />[]Tail Blackouts<br /><a href=\"http://photos.yahoo.com/skyracer_x\" target=\"_blank\">pics</a>

Comment

I think its the Idler pulley.
                Dont call me chief.<br /><br />2001 Camaro Convertible Rs Replica<br />1991 Acura Legend

Comment

see what WD-40 will do for you.....I routinely go in about twice a month and spray down all my pulley's etc with it....

Comment

Is it wise to spray WD40 under the hood of your car? I've heard about WD40 screwing up a lot of stuff if your not careful what you spray it on.

[ March 21, 2002: Message edited by: V6Maniac ]</p>
                    <a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/maniacls1\" target=\"_blank\"><b>2001 Firehawk #155 of 504 -M6</b></a><br />437 RWHP / 404 RWTQ -Dynojet (heads/cam)<br />12.34 @114 mph 1.7 60\' (bolt-ons only)<br />12.47 @116 mph 2.0 60\' (street tires, heads/cam)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X