Brown Radiator Fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brown Radiator Fluid

Alright. I don't know if the person that had this car before me used some kind of leak stop, or if my radiator fluid is just rusty. The car hasn't ever run hot, but I'd like to change it anyways. How exactly do you flush our radiators. I'd like to do it myself. So if any of you have done please provide directions..

Thanks
    2000 Camaro Z/28

I changed Rad Fluid three times in the past 5 years on my 96 Camaro, and the darned fliud still turned brown. I even flushed the system (COMPLETELY) twice, and about 6 months later...brown fluid again. I think it may have to do with the tap water I used. Next time, I'll try Distilled water and see if it makes a difference.
    The total flush isn't so hard, it should take about 2 hours if you are picky like me. First: I suggest taking the Thermostat out to help the draining process and put the Hose back on.(replace the old Thermostat with a new one after you are done). Lift the front of the car, find the pet-**** drain on the rear bottom of the radiator passenger side, turn it counter clock-wise until it starts to drain. Remember to keep a bucket of some sort under there to catch the fluid. DON'T use a Baking Pan like me...I got in ALOT of heat with the ball-n-chain (almost wife) when she found out!!
    I would drain it, add a little fluid, then start it for a few moments to let it all circulate through. I did this about 4 times, then I added 50/50 Red Dex-Cool and Water. It isn't that hard of a task, just don't run the engine too long without fluid. I ran mine for about 30 seconds to let the fluid in the engine circulate out.
    Good luck,
    -Marc
    sigpic

Comment

I've changed mine twice in the last year, only because I had a leaking pump and they suggested I change it all out. Both times after I changed the fluid, it would stay nice and orange for a couple months before getting a little darker.

Especially on the reservoir stick thingee...brown stuff on there. Yck...but like the radiator shop said, once you get that crap in there, you can't totally get rid of it. I've flushed it twice and it looks the same so...f'it.

Comment

Thanks for the posts..
        2000 Camaro Z/28

Comment

I get this muddy brown stuff in the tank, but the radiator is crystal clear. I have to wash the tank once every few months.

Comment

i just found out mine was rusty yesterday by opening up the cap, it looked really bad, is there anywhere I can take the car to get a flush done and how much would it cost?
            Email: Preki1212@hotmail.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
              New Owner!
              by LETZRIDE
              I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
              3 days ago
            • ssms5411
              Little work today
              by ssms5411
              Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
              2 weeks ago
            • LETZRIDE
              Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
              by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
              Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
              By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
              Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
              02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X