Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new here- ?? about my MT

Hi Folks,

Just got my first f-body [and first car with a stick] 2 weeks ago. It's a '00 f-bird 3.8, 5M, with 30,000 miles.

2 questions:

-How noisy can the throw-out bearing on the clutch get before I worry about replacing it? I know you have to drop the tranny to get to it. It's noisy enough that my passengers notice it if I'm sitting still and the radio's off [with the clutch pushed in]. Will I damage anything by ignoring it longer? The car was water-damaged, if that makes any difference in your answer.

-Assuming a totally stock '00 V6, with the standard tire size and open diff, what's the best way to launch the car quickly from a standstill? Note that I'm not interested in breaking parts in the process...

Having a blast with it otherwise, and trying to figure out how to shift from 1-2 more smoothly at high rpms. Thanks for your advice

-Owen

[ July 07, 2004, 08:00 PM: Message edited by: terminaldegree ]
    \'00 f-bird 3.8 M5 coupe, pewter metallic<br />Torsen LSD, Pro 5.0 shifter, Spec stage 1 clutch, Y87 muffler, aftermarket stereo<br />-more fun than the Oldsmobile it replaced...

i wouldn't let it "get" noisy at all; once it starts ticking it's time to go. if the car's water damaged, i wouldn't wait an extra second. for the labor cost of going in there to replace it... you might as well put in a decent clutch while you're at it. aftermarket clutches are scarcely more than stock replacements.

as for the launch... hold about 2000-2500 rpm and feather the clutch out (let it smoothly but quickly).

Comment

Thanks for the advice.

I read the tech stuff posted here about clutch options. Do you have any suggestions for what to get and who to get it from? I have no intentions of modding the car or racing it, but I will occasionally drive it hard on the back roads. I want something easy to use. Thx again.

-Owen
      \'00 f-bird 3.8 M5 coupe, pewter metallic<br />Torsen LSD, Pro 5.0 shifter, Spec stage 1 clutch, Y87 muffler, aftermarket stereo<br />-more fun than the Oldsmobile it replaced...

Comment

Well I just got my Spec Stage 3 clutch put in last week and I am loving it. It chatters a little bit when starting from a dead stop but nothing bad at all. If you don't plan on racing a lot you could probably go with a stage 2 or a DualFriction clutch. They are both good and are smooth clutches.
        98 Silver Camaro V6<br />15.238 @91.74 w/ 2.288 60\'<br />Mods: K&N, FTRA, Pacesetter Headers, Spec 3 Clutch, 160 Thermo, TSP Rumbler, 3\" Catco, Whisper Lid, 3.42\'s w/LSD, Aluminum DS, Man Fan Switch<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain

Comment

I have a SPEC stage 2 and it chatters as well, but its a great clutch. Grabs hard and shifts great.

Make sure to replace the pilot bearing also and any other seals that will be easy to get to now, like the rear main seal.
          1999 Pontiac Trans Am M6 Far from stock.....
          Pics http://rides.webshots.com/album/5599...Dk?vhost=rides

Comment

Finally... a new guy I actually approve of... Welcome and hope you enjoy your car as much as I enjoy mine ;)
            00\' firebird v6 5spd<br />201rwhp ---- 230 rwtq<br />\"Everyday I grow stronger...and further from you.\"<br />WARNING: Do not take any of my comments seriously unless they are technical in nature and then only at your own risk

Comment

Originally posted by CamaroRob97:
              Make sure to replace the pilot bearing also and any other seals that will be easy to get to now, like the rear main seal.
              HIGHLY recommended!
              Even though they may be good now, water damage can creep up on you down the line, and make you tear the whole clutch apart for a cheap little part. I'd definately replace the pilot bushing and rear main seal while you're under there.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ReodDai:
                Finally... a new guy I actually approve of... Welcome and hope you enjoy your car as much as I enjoy mine ;)
                [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img]
                The pick of the litter hasnt been rollin through lately in your eyes I take it [img]tongue.gif[/img]
                Shawn<br />2002 Silver W68 Firebird

Comment

Originally posted by ReodDai:
                  Finally... a new guy I actually approve of...
                  Thanks for the ego boost...
                  You might change your mind about that, as I go to that "other" rather small university in Austin. Taking a peek at your profile, are you among the tortilla-throwing faithful out there?

Thanks to everyone else for the replies thus far.

Comment

Originally posted by FloydSummerOf68:
                    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by ReodDai:
                    [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img]
                    The pick of the litter hasnt been rollin through lately in your eyes I take it [img]tongue.gif[/img]
                    </font>[/QUOTE]Have you seen some of these new guys man? :eek:
                    I want to call [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img] on most of them.. they can't be people.. or atleast must be honda owners...
                    00\' firebird v6 5spd<br />201rwhp ---- 230 rwtq<br />\"Everyday I grow stronger...and further from you.\"<br />WARNING: Do not take any of my comments seriously unless they are technical in nature and then only at your own risk

Comment

Originally posted by terminaldegree:
                      </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by ReodDai:
                      Finally... a new guy I actually approve of...
                      Thanks for the ego boost...
                      You might change your mind about that, as I go to that "other" rather small university in Austin. Taking a peek at your profile, are you among the tortilla-throwing faithful out there?

Thanks to everyone else for the replies thus far.
                      </font>[/QUOTE]Yea but I'm from Austin,TX. I really don't care what university people go to... as long as they have some damn common sense.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X