Changed half the spark plugs, engine revs on its own - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changed half the spark plugs, engine revs on its own

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changed half the spark plugs, engine revs on its own

Just got done changing the driver side plugs/wires on my 94 3.4 v6 camaro. Started it up and now the engine revs to about 1800 on its own. I though I read something about this awhile back...

few things... the heatshrinking on the wires pretty much crumbled off(does autozone sell this?)... no way of putting it back on... and the half of one of the little plastic peices that keeps the wires sepearte fell down and we couldnt find it...

About the revving part. Look for a vacuum leak somewhere. To rev that high it would have to be a big leak so you should hear it very clear. Just listen for the sound of rushing air or more appropriately, a sucking sound.

As for the heatshrinking, I would worry about this, just make sure you route your wires to where they are as far away from heat sources as possible. What I like to do is run 1,3,5 underneath the throttle, over the thermostat housing. From there I run all 3 behind egr tube, run 1 right down the side and to the plug. As for 3 and 5, ive found it best to run those along the valve cover all the way to the egr solenoid and then take each of them down to the plugs. What this does is keep the wires as far away from the hot manifold as possible by going straight up after leaving the spark plug. 2,4,6 I just run from the coils out and around to the plugs. These arent as critical due to the ability to get to them easier. Just keep them away from the heat as much as possible.
    1995 Arctic White Camaro. 3.4L/A4<br /><br />\"Stupid men make mistakes, wise men learn from mistakes\"

Comment

When you refer to heatshrink are you referring to the split loom tubing? From the sounds of things it is in which case you can find it at Wal-Mart, Auto Zone, etc.

I don't mean to make you sound like you don't know what you are talking about but I just want to make sure I am clear on the question. Heatshrink tubing is one solid piece and the only way to put it on wires is to slide the wire through from one end of the tube to the other. After it is put on, a heat source (heat gun or lighter) is used to shrink the tubing which then forms a tight seal around the wire. This is commonly done in places where wires are spliced or terminals are soldered to keep them insulated and free of moisture. Split loom tubing on the other hand has a slit down the entire length of the tube and the wire is inserted either from one end or in the case of spark plug wires the slit is pulled apart and is laid over the wire. It is most commonly seen in ribbed form. I'm only posting this so that when you ask a store employee they can direct you to the right product.

Not saying it cannot happen but I've never seen heat shrink tubing crumble. The worst I've seen happen is when too much heat is applied the stuff melts. Split loom tubing will also melt if too much heat is applied but if it is subjected to normal engine compartment conditions it becomes brittle and crumbles.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
      Working...
      X