Battery Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery Question

Are Optima batteries any better than a standard battery, like a Die Hard or an Interstate?

It all depends on your needs ... stereo, weather, etc. The Optima batteries are rated at a lot higher CCA than Die-Hards etc ... therefore they'll turn you over quicker ... another thing, they're dry cell, so it's safer to put inside the passenger compartment than wet-cells.
    \'97 Firebird 3.8 ... 1/4 mile = 12.50 (minutes)

Comment

Is there something special about your car [ungodly huge sound system, for example] that would warrant needing to shell out that much more money for a battery?

Better - probably
      Worth it - rarely [in normal usage]

A decent traditional battery for our cars is around $60. Isn't the Optima around $150? I could think of a lot of other stuff I would do with an extra $90 in my wallet.
      \'00 f-bird 3.8 M5 coupe, pewter metallic<br />Torsen LSD, Pro 5.0 shifter, Spec stage 1 clutch, Y87 muffler, aftermarket stereo<br />-more fun than the Oldsmobile it replaced...

Comment

Wal-mart batterys, The yellow and black ones. These are top of the line batterys at a fair price. I have 3 of them, one in my truck, one in my trator, one Deep cycle RV. If you ever have anyproblem with it the warranty is great. They will give you a new one no questions asked. I got a new deep cycle when the one i had was not holding a charge well after 5 yrs, OF VERY RUFF USAGE, FREE, they jest told me to leave my old battery and take a new one. I dont know if they thought the battery was newer then it was or what, but the old battery was very clean. Plus you cant go anywhere with out seeing a walmart.
        <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261</a> Green 1997, 105k, all stock except for Z28 front springs, Air shocks in the rear, home made coolant recovery tank, home made battery hold down.

Comment

Originally posted by BobbyZ72:
          Wal-mart batterys, The yellow and black ones. These are top of the line batterys at a fair price. I have 3 of them, one in my truck, one in my trator, one Deep cycle RV. If you ever have anyproblem with it the warranty is great. They will give you a new one no questions asked. I got a new deep cycle when the one i had was not holding a charge well after 5 yrs, OF VERY RUFF USAGE, FREE, they jest told me to leave my old battery and take a new one. I dont know if they thought the battery was newer then it was or what, but the old battery was very clean. Plus you cant go anywhere with out seeing a walmart.
          i just got one last week, and i think my alternator is bad so i might have drained it. the warranty wouldnt cover this, would it? i got the yellow everstart max
          1995 3.4l dark green camaro<br />stock...for now

Comment

the battery should still be ok. If you jest think you have to have a new one, take it back and jest tell them the battery wont hold a charge. Its a lie, but jest stick with and tell them all you want is another one. im sure they will give you another one.
            <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261</a> Green 1997, 105k, all stock except for Z28 front springs, Air shocks in the rear, home made coolant recovery tank, home made battery hold down.

Comment

Hey Bobby ...
              Plus you cant go anywhere with out seeing a walmart.
              Surprisingly enough ... there's not one where I'm at !!

Comment

optima batterys are great, i love my optimas they have yet to fail me.

Not like i really need optimas anyways, not like i run a big system or anything. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by ma4life:
                  Hey Bobby ...
                  </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> Plus you cant go anywhere with out seeing a walmart.
                  Surprisingly enough ... there's not one where I'm at !! </font>[/QUOTE]LOL sorry about that, but its one of them many joys of being an american. ahahah, jest messing with you

Comment

i have one and although you may not need it, they do tend to be a little bit more robust than an average battery. i've accidentally drained mine a few times and it charged right back up no problem. i got a red top btw. i got mine at murray's for like 120 with a 30 dollar core so basically 90 bucks. that was last summer so i could be wrong on that but it wasnt THAT much more expensive and for the peace of mind that its not gonna die on me when i gotta get to work on a cold day i think it was worth it. one day i'll get my subs... one day [img]graemlins/banana.gif[/img]
                    2000 3.8L Camaro A4 Pewter Y87<br />K&N Filter, SLP Ram Air kit, Eibach Pro Kit, Flowmaster 80 series, Silverstars, NGK plugs and MSD Super Conductor Wires, Electric Water Pump

Comment

Bobby ...
                      LOL sorry about that, but its one of them many joys of being an american.
                      Hey now ... I am American ... just stationed over here for a few years. :cool:

Comment

IMO optimas are a bit much for an average car.

Its a nice battery clean, looks good, good cranking power. BUt only reason I got mine was because I ran no belt when I raced wanted a little more power out of it.
                        -Eric<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/mustangeater82\" target=\"_blank\">2000 NBM V6 Camaro 5-speed</a> T-top <i>converted</i><br /><b>14.467@95.45mph</b> <i>$0 in mods</i><br /><i>The member formerly known as MustangEater8251</i>

Comment

Originally posted by ma4life:
                          Bobby ...
                          </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> LOL sorry about that, but its one of them many joys of being an american.
                          Hey now ... I am American ... just stationed over here for a few years. :cool: </font>[/QUOTE]HA, sorry, i was jest playing with you. [img]graemlins/wavey.gif[/img]

Comment

:D

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                              New Owner!
                              by LETZRIDE
                              I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                              2 days ago
                            • ssms5411
                              Little work today
                              by ssms5411
                              Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                              2 weeks ago
                            • LETZRIDE
                              Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                              by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                              Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                              By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                              Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                              02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X