Need help!!!! Car is puttering now!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help!!!! Car is puttering now!

ok, I just went to the dealer to have my alarm reprogrammed with the keyless entry. Right after I drove out of the dealership my car felt really slow. Actually when i floored it it like "jumped". It was like bogging or misfiring, its kinda hard to explain. Its unconsistient. Exhaust pops back and forth. My car is noticeably slower than before. I am thinking its either the spark plugs, wires, or injectors. I do not think it has anything with going to the dealership because they did nothing with the engine. Need help, What is wrong with my car!, it only has 43000 miles on it. :(
    Email: Preki1212@hotmail.com

If he unplugged your battery cable, PCM could have been reset. Takes around 75 miles before things get back to normal. You can help it learn the curves by driving it at different spees. You having the MSD on if they reset your PCM will compound your problem. May have to unhook it until car begins running normal. Call them and ask if they unhooked your battery. If they did, that's your problem. Hope this helps.
    <b>1998 Firebird 3800 Series II, A4</b><br />Direct-Flo Lid,K&N Filter,DEE TB Spacer,TPS-TEC,ZZP Mini-AFC,Raised and Cutout Airbox 7mm,BMR STB & Boxed LCAs,KYB AGX Shocks,Drilled/Slotted Rotors,180* Thermo,2.5\" Catco Cat,Dynomax 2.75\" custom catback,Kumho Ecstas/245,Jet Stage 2,3.42,Edge Racing 2870 Stall,B&M Tranny Cooler,B&M Deep Tranny Pan,LSD,AAM Girdle,1LE DS,NX Wet Kit,MSD DIS-4,MSD Blaster Coil Packs,Taylor Spiro Pro 8mm Wires,NGK TR6\'S gapped .045,ZZP UD WP Pulley,SLP Fan Switch,TT II\'s<br />N/A: 15.6342 @ 88.44 (On stock converter. Strugglin\' to beat it.)<br />Nitrous 50 Shot: 14.7463 @ 93.49

Comment

thanks for the info. They didnt reset it or pull the battery cable. I just went back and they said that would have nothing to do with my problem. They want 72 bucks just for them to tell me whats wrong!

Comment

Try going to autozone to get your code read.
        <b>1998 Firebird 3800 Series II, A4</b><br />Direct-Flo Lid,K&N Filter,DEE TB Spacer,TPS-TEC,ZZP Mini-AFC,Raised and Cutout Airbox 7mm,BMR STB & Boxed LCAs,KYB AGX Shocks,Drilled/Slotted Rotors,180* Thermo,2.5\" Catco Cat,Dynomax 2.75\" custom catback,Kumho Ecstas/245,Jet Stage 2,3.42,Edge Racing 2870 Stall,B&M Tranny Cooler,B&M Deep Tranny Pan,LSD,AAM Girdle,1LE DS,NX Wet Kit,MSD DIS-4,MSD Blaster Coil Packs,Taylor Spiro Pro 8mm Wires,NGK TR6\'S gapped .045,ZZP UD WP Pulley,SLP Fan Switch,TT II\'s<br />N/A: 15.6342 @ 88.44 (On stock converter. Strugglin\' to beat it.)<br />Nitrous 50 Shot: 14.7463 @ 93.49

Comment

Actually my uncle has one of those 5000 dollar scanners. Well I plugged it in yesterday night and no codes came up. So I then started driving around with it. My uncle floored it and it started its bogging and jumping and then the scanner read that cylinder 6 was misfiring. In total it said that # 6 misfired 18 times! Well I think its the spark plug # 6 so I will check it out. Thanks for the help I got though. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Plug or the wire -- make sure the wire is snug on the plug and on the coil pack.
            -Rob
            <b>97 Camaro 3.8L M5</b><br />Car for sale<a href=\"http://terpmotors.com\" target=\"_blank\">terpmotors.com</a> Terrapin Motorsports! UMCP

Comment

Well heres an update: I still have not fixed the problem. I changed Plug # 6 and it did not help. Seems like the problem is getting worse. One thing that did happen was the Service Engine Soon light came up. I was kinda excited since I could now see what that code was. Well I scanned it and it said code P0300 which is engine misfiring. I already know that!!! I put fuel injector cleaner and that didnt help. Next step is the wire on # 6 but I did check both ends at the coil and at the plug and they seem fine. I did notice a blue gel like material in the boot of wire 6 which connects to the plug. I was told that that is just grease and is normal. If its the wire it has to be something right in the middle of it where I cant see. The main thing here is that the scanner said that cylinder 6 is misfiring and the code that came up said that also. Problem seems to be getting worse. Need feedback asap!!!!

Comment

Anyone?

Comment

The resistance of the #6 wire is probably shot. replace it with a new wire.
                  1997 Y87 Camaro with a motor and some stuff.

Comment

actually, there's a TSB out on the wires. They have extended the wire warranty to 7years/70k miles. take it to the dealer and have them fix it. if they throw a fit, have them look for the TSB. They are required by GM to fix the wires if they go bad within the warranty.
                    1997 Y87 Camaro with a motor and some stuff.

Comment

I had the same problem 97P is having; on the same cylinder. Took it to the dealer and found out it was just an injector wire loose on the cylinder #6. I don't know what couldve cause it. Check your injector wire.

[ March 07, 2002: Message edited by: shortdog273 ]</p>
                      <b>99 Camaro Z28 A4</b><br />R.I.P. 00 Firebird 3.8<br />14.89 @ 90, 2.03 60\'

Comment

Does the engine surge while driving? Does it seem like its having trouble shifting at the higher RPMs?
                        95 Camaro 3.8L Y2K motor <br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/coriya71\" target=\"_blank\">www.cardomain.com/id/coriya71</a>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>I had the same problem 97P is having; on the same cylinder. Took it to the dealer and found out it was just an injector wire loose on the cylinder #6. I don't know what couldve cause it. Check your injector wire. <hr></blockquote>

Hey short is this the fuel injector wire your talking about and where is it found?

and it doesnt really seem like its having trouble shifting at higher rpms. Its hard to tell because my whole rpm range is off. Thanks fellas.

[ March 07, 2002: Message edited by: 97Pcam6 ]</p>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X