Me vs. the Dealership, Pre-Fight Warm Up - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Me vs. the Dealership, Pre-Fight Warm Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Me vs. the Dealership, Pre-Fight Warm Up

Ok,

My car has alot of annoying things wrong with it.. but there are 2 things only that threaten the longevity of my car. 1. Cracked oil pan 2. Hard 1st-2nd gear shifts with slippage at high speed (60+) when i'm acclerating quickly.

I bought my car with 62k miles from a Ford dealership back in April 2003. Currently it has 76k miles.

I purchased a 3 year, 36k mile warranty for I am well aware of the Camaro's legacy of reliability. The cool thing is, oil pans are covered under their powertrain warranty! Something I just found out today! But a few problems. 1. My car isn't exactly stock, my exhaust will be removed prior to going in there (just to avoid getting crap). and 2. (The Big One) My shift kit, my dumb *** should have known not to get it put in, but I did (my car had hard 1st-2nd shifts prior to it's installation)

http://www.camarov6.com/cgi-bin/ulti...&f=23&t=002648

for some background info.

Ok, I'm assuming I'm going to have to remove my exhaust and cat.. I've thrown a code once or twice with the o2 sensor when it gets wet.. if I just replace it and have clamps to keep it up, will it be ok?

The shift kit.. gosh i'm not looking forward to this, but it cost 160 to put in, and I KNOW that it'll avoid anything even close to my warranty.. my question is A. is it possible to remove and keep the parts (for when I reinstall it) and put other parts back in and the dealership won't know the difference? The shift kit hasn't thrown a code... any help from anyone on the removal of that?

Next problem, I had gone in there when I first got my car for an ses light (knew much less about my car then) and it turned out to be an injector... well the bad thing was that the company who issued the warranty went out of business, I was told I had nothing to worry about with that, but am curious if anyone has any info on that. Last but not least.. it's a ford dealership, last time they sent me to a chevy dealer to work on my car, will that be ok?

So my questions are.. help finding a stock exhaust for my car, help removing the shift kit.. and any other question in this beast of a paragraph. ANY HELP WOULD BE AWESOME, please let me know.. the oil smell is getting strong..
    ~The Guru\'s Guru~<br />1999 Camaro,K&N,!MAF<br />!airsilencer,3.08s,<br />NGK-TR6\'s,Taylor Blue 8mm wires,FRAM,A4,Catco Cat, Magnaflow 3 inch catback,transgo shift kit<br />Waiting: RK sport headers, custom y pipe electric cutout<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/divinejc\" target=\"_blank\">www.cardomain.com/id/divinejc</a>

Originally posted by jc Kyle:
    from a Ford dealership
    PROBLEM #1
    <a href=\"http://www.onid.orst.edu/~waltejam/\" target=\"_blank\">98 Bright Red Camaro</a><br />Too many mods to list....check my website

Comment

i foresee not getting any help on this..
      ~The Guru\'s Guru~<br />1999 Camaro,K&N,!MAF<br />!airsilencer,3.08s,<br />NGK-TR6\'s,Taylor Blue 8mm wires,FRAM,A4,Catco Cat, Magnaflow 3 inch catback,transgo shift kit<br />Waiting: RK sport headers, custom y pipe electric cutout<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/divinejc\" target=\"_blank\">www.cardomain.com/id/divinejc</a>

Comment

the shift kit you may be dicked for, and it may have actually caused the problem. as for the oil pan, you may be OK because there is no conceviable way that exhaust and a shift kit could make your oil pan crack. but to be safe, you may want to take it off anyway. check like fbody.com and sites like that to find a local person willing to give away or sell dirt cheap their stock exhaust setup.

Comment

Originally posted by speedy-v6-camaro:
          </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by jc Kyle:
          from a Ford dealership
          PROBLEM #1 </font>[/QUOTE]I second that
          New Toy Red 94 Formula LT1
          RT: .0006 60': 1.894 1/8 mile: 8.351 @ 84.89 1/4 mile: 12.974 @ 107.81
          crashed Red 96 Camaro 3.8l: 14.91 @ 92.38
          The ex wife's Black 98 Firebird 3.8l: 15.23 @ 88.12

Comment

how much would i be looking at to remove the shift kit?

Comment

Assuming you have everything they replaced in the shift kit....the same amount it was to install it. Otherwise get ready to fork some dough over....or purchase the stuff from me...as I kept everything I took out.
              <a href=\"http://www.onid.orst.edu/~waltejam/\" target=\"_blank\">98 Bright Red Camaro</a><br />Too many mods to list....check my website

Comment

I have a cracked oil pan Ive been meaning to get it replaced for like a year now [img]smile.gif[/img]

Its cracked up towards the top though, doesnt leak that much at all, 2 or 3 mechanics have mentioned it to me now but each one was like its up at the top it's not a critical part, if it was toward the bottom yea that'd need to be replaced ASAP It's about a $250 - $300 job is what I got quoted from 2 or 3 places.
                \'01 Trans Am WS6 5.7L M6<br />Stock now w/ K&N and whisper lid<br />Coming soon: B&B Triflow catback, MAF, 85mm throttlebody, headers, supercharger?

Comment

oil pan, your ok, the shift kit, they will blame that for the tranny problem, best bet, take it to the shop where you had it done, or somewhere u trust, and have them take the shift kit out, and keep all the parts, and you should be able to reinstall it after they fix the tranny...

merlin
                  2002 Firebird<br />2003 Yamaha YZF 600R

Comment

ok, well here's an update..

called the dealership.. they said they'd only fix the oil pan if it was a manufacturer's error and not something that was damaged. When i got the car, it had a slight leak.. very slight.. like a drip every couple days.. well it's gotten worse, which inclines me to believe that it was a manufacturer's defect. I mentioned the tranny in a seperate call *didn't mention the shift kit* and said there was a tsb about it.. they said talk to the warranty company, but that's after I told the dumb girl that my warranty company is out of business.

So basically here's my 2 questions.. 1. Has anyone here had a cracked oil pan due to a manufacturer's defect, and 2. Is it easy to tell the difference between a manufacturer's defect and damage infliced on the vehicle.. thx and PLZ lemme know!

Comment

you arent going to have to take your cat and exhaust off, because as far as i am concerned, they do not void your warrenty
                      2000 Navy Blue T-top Camaro A4<br />TSP Rumbler <br />Carsound Hi-flo Cat<br />!MAF screen<br />Whisper lid<br />HPP3

Comment

If the pan wasn't cracked from the factory, I don't understand how it can be anything else BUT damage done by you.

I'm not saying you did, but I dunno how they are going to tell one way or another, ya know?
                        1997 Cayenne Red Metallic Camaro<br />3.8 V6 M5<br />SLP Cold Air Intake<br />Ceramic Coated Pacesetter Headers <br />Flowmaster American Thunder Catback<br />Full 3.42 & Disc Break Rear End Swap

Comment

cat and exuast should not void your warrenty. if they ask y its on there tel the them cat went bad and the exuast started to leak and thats what the shop put on lol
                          www.turbov6camaro.com
                          1997 3800 Series II Camaro
                          4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
                          7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
                          11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

aye.. i was thinkin' that.. well, i bought the car used and there was a slight, tiny crease in the pan.. hell rear pinions leak without it being the person's fault

Comment

ok dont worry about ur exhaust it doenst affect the other things

and if they give you any problems YOU DIDNT PUT THE SHIFT KIT IN
                              YOU HAVE NO CLUE ABOUT IT
                              THATS HOW YOU BOUGHT THE CAR
                              DO NOT SAY ANYTHIGN ABOUT IT - IF THEY GIVE YOU PROBLEMS TALK TO THE MANAGER AND SAY YOU HAVE NEVER TOUCHED THE TRANNY you bought it like that... they can't prove otherwise....
                              <b>*§*Julian*§*</b><br />*~*~*~<br />2000 Grand Prix GTP -Daytona 500 Edition (only 2000 made) - Supercharged 3.8L V6<br /><br />1998 3.8L V6 A4 Firebird w/ W68 package, Y87, T-TOPS!<br /><br /><a href=\"http://myweb.usf.edu/~jadidona/index.html\" target=\"_blank\">MY SITE - CHECK IT!</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                Hello everyone!
                                by Andy H
                                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X