Hesitation Troubleshooting. Please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hesitation Troubleshooting. Please.

Ok, before posting I did try a search. It doesn't seem to contain what Im looking for.

The concern is on my 99 Firebird (3.8).

It seems when I am turning sharp and accellerating hard at the same time (i.e turning into moving traffic) the hesitation kicks in--AND ITS BAD! I thought I was going to get rear-ended today because I pulled into traffice --like anyone would--- and suddenly the car just dropped all desire to go. It didnt shut off, it just accellerated like grandma. Very bad!

The specs:
    The car has 79K on it. I just replaced the fuel fitler (because I honestly thought that was the problem--it feels fuel related) but that didnt help, althogh the car accellerates casually much more smooth! As far as I know the car has original plugs, wires, coils, etc. If I were more affluent I'd replace all of them, but Im not and would like to know if there is a different area I need to consider first. Whatever the problem, it is NOT throwing an engine code. So I cant get the code pulled.
    Lastly, I replaced the alternator about 1K miles ago and since then Ive noticed my voltage meter to occasionally drop for a few secs then return. It drops for no reason--i have no accessory running except the radio, and it does it even w/o hitting the brake.

Im wondering is it transmission related? This is my first auto. V6 F-Body and I have no exp with the A4. Is there something involved with the A4 F-body that is responsibly for accelleration?

Thanks for all the help!
    While your at it, if you are going to suggest replacing the coils, plugs, wires (etc) can you go ahead and recommend some?

On my LS1 I have had the BEST LUCK with the AC Delco platinums (stock) plugs. With the NGKs my car ran too hot. I dont know, however, if the Delco Plat. are recommended for the V6.
    Thanks again!
    Justin<br />1998 Camaro Z28 M6<br />1985 Pontiac Fiero M5<br />1999 Pontiac Firebird A4<br />AIM: FTBvideo<br />\"Music\'s what I need to keep my sanity!\" --S.A Martinez, 311

Probably ignition related. Start with the plug wires first then start in on the coils. Stock replacements are fine as GM did an OK job with the ignition system. A missfire will not always throw a code.
    2000 GTP<br />Thrasher CAI, 3.4\" pulley, DHP PCM<br />Member RedLineVSix<br />Best ET-14.02<br />Best Trap-97.15

Comment

damn, that sux man, I replaced my alternator last week adn same thing with the voltage meter happens. It drops for a few minutes only when its cold out or something then it goes back up.
      My car also hesitates like crazy, just like you describe it. I switched from 93 octane gas to 87 octane two weeks ago, My friend said I shoudl switch back maybe thats the reason. I will also attempt to change the fuel filter, and get my coils checked. Another suggestion, check the fuel pump, I will also do that cuase I hear they go out on our cars at very random times.
      2005 Chevrolet Corvette C6 <br />M6, Magnaflow\'s 14336<br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/v6purplebird\" target=\"_blank\">C6 Pics</a><br /><br />Old car:<br />1996 Firebird A4<br />SLP Cold Air Intake<br />Magnaflow Catback Exhaust<br />Magnaflow Catalytic Converter<br /><br />George Mason University<br />CEIE Major<br />Pi Kappa Alpha<br /><br /><a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/nsolano\" target=\"_blank\">Firebird Pics </a>

Comment

Im having a simialr problem with mine. It seems to hesitate more noticibly when the car is heated up for some reason. Does it tend to hesitate on downshifts? Mine tends to when punch I it in general.
        \'95 3.4 metallic teal Camaro- t-boned by an F-250, sold and still runnin\' somewhere out there...<br /><br />\'96 3.8 metallic teal camaro<br /><br />...Lookin for black 6 speed Z28 or Trans Am...

Comment

I had the same issues with my 96 3.8L Camaro RS for awhile now & i got sick of it. So i swapped my plugs to Ac Delco Rapid Fires, Swapped my wires for Taylor 8mm Spiro Pros, Changed My Coil Packets, & Ran some Chevron Concentrate with Techron through my tank to clean my fuel injectors and my car hasn't ever run better. I got back all the power loss & the hesitation stopped completely.
          1996 Black Camaro RS. RS Ground Effects package, T-tops, 3.42 gears w/LSD, Flo Pro V-force muffler w/ dual outlet exhaust, Manual fan switch, Taylor 8mm Spiro Pro Wires & More soon to come. <br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/onyx96rs\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/onyx96rs</a>

Comment

Found the problem, and the reason I never thought of it before was because of the mileage.

Its the cat. convertor. It was stuffed. I'd suggest you guys check that as well, because yes the problem increased as the engine (exhaust) got hotter.

I ordered a high flow cat from summit (as well as a dual outlet flowmaster [img]smile.gif[/img] ) Saturday. So hopefully I'll be fixed by the end of the week.

However, in the meantime so that the car was drivable, I punched a hole in my cat. Took the cutting torch and cut a golf ball size hole in that PITA! What an awesome sight! Although the car accellerates fine now, its noisey as he**!!

Just wanted to update you all. Now go check your cats!

[img]smile.gif[/img]
            Justin<br />1998 Camaro Z28 M6<br />1985 Pontiac Fiero M5<br />1999 Pontiac Firebird A4<br />AIM: FTBvideo<br />\"Music\'s what I need to keep my sanity!\" --S.A Martinez, 311

Comment

My car stalled out a few times recently while driving. It started right back up each adn every time after a minute or two except the last time it took 2 hours. I took it to a mechanic and he said three of my plugs look corroded and a fan belt is on its way out. I just got the rumbler installed and right after it got installed, the car started stalling.

Today when I drove it home from the mechanic, the car was shifting hard, diffinitely not smooth like it did before the rumbler. It also downshifted while I was goin about 40 mph and then a few seconds later shifted back up.

Anyone have any ideas? Could it be the cat, as you said?
              SOLD - 1999 Black Firebird<br />A4, T-tops, 3.42 gears, Y87 Package<br />[Appearance mods] Chrome side vents, Pontiac metallic silver rear inlay<br />[Performance mods] TSP Rumbler<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/eminemz115\" target=\"_blank\">PICS</a>

Comment

is there a scheduled time for a cat to be replaced? such as years or miles on the car? Im having idle issues when the car gets up to temp, when my sister had the car one time she said that it was glowing, ive never noticed it do that though. My firebird has 165K miles on it and its never been changed.
                1990 Firebird 3.1 T-Tops<br />Flowmaster exhaust<br />Kenwood MP 825 Deck<br />4\" Rockfords w/ tweet in dash plate<br />3 Way 6x9 Rockords in rear sails<br />1970 Camaro 350

Comment

Lastly, I replaced the alternator about 1K miles ago and since then Ive noticed my voltage meter to occasionally drop for a few secs then return. It drops for no reason--i have no accessory running except the radio, and it does it even w/o hitting the brake.

------------------------------------------------
                  my car does the same thing. when I am just cruising and I put the gas down a little further it will drop in voltage and my headlights will go dim...then I will let up on the gas and it will return to normal. this happened as soon as i change the batt and alternator. any ideas
                  96 Camaro 3.8 A4 Basemodel: 8 mm wires, Shift Kit, Hollowed <br />Cat(o2 sims), RKSport exhaust, IAT 5.6K resistor, Home Depot CAI<br />&gt;&gt;&gt;15.375 @ 89.27&lt;&lt;&lt;NEW BEST TIME <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/552491\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/552491</a>

Comment

where our wires are located they get really hot from the engine and exhaust manifolds. so many of my friends and people on this board have burnt through wires or weakend them up enough to ruin them. check all your wires and use zip ties or whatever to keep them as far away from the manifolds as possible. also make sure the little heat shields are on there.

i got my wires from rk sport and they gave me a noticable amount hp gain and about 2 mpg better.
                    96 Camaro 3.8 A4 Basemodel: 8 mm wires, Shift Kit, Hollowed <br />Cat(o2 sims), RKSport exhaust, IAT 5.6K resistor, Home Depot CAI<br />&gt;&gt;&gt;15.375 @ 89.27&lt;&lt;&lt;NEW BEST TIME <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/552491\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/552491</a>

Comment

Originally posted by Javelin3o4:
                      is there a scheduled time for a cat to be replaced? such as years or miles on the car? Im having idle issues when the car gets up to temp, when my sister had the car one time she said that it was glowing, ive never noticed it do that though. My firebird has 165K miles on it and its never been changed.
                      umm dude 5 years or 100K mile is the federal law, NO SOONER, later is ok your WAY WAY WAY over due
                      www.turbov6camaro.com
                      1997 3800 Series II Camaro
                      4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
                      7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
                      11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

UPDATE:

Got the cat installed, and at first everything was running great. However, within 100 miles the hesitation seemed to be returning. So I finally decided to take it to the shop to have it diagnosed. Found out that my TPS is not working (Throttle Position Sensor). The bummer is, since in 99 they upgraded to electronically controlled throttle, I have to replace my whole throttle body!!!

Technically what's going on is the car is running rich since it's not getting the proper air/fuel ratio. That's what killed the cat initally.

As a response to the previous post... I don't believe it's illegal to replace the cat before 100K especially since it's possible to HAVE TO replace one before then. Overall, I've never actually heard of one dying at such a young age, but if it needs replacment... replace it.

I got mine at Summitt for $50. However, now my exhaust is really loud!!! (Dont know if I like that yet...)

Just keeping all you guys posted. Let me know if you know of anyone selling a 99+ throttle body cheap.
                        Thanks
                        Justin

Comment

Good to hear pimpin', I'm having the same similar issue, I think that it's just time for a tune up for me, but I KNOW I'm running righie rich, fugg' it though
                          -235/4517 Chrome Mondera Solaris<br />-Hornet remote start-keyless entry<br />-Pioneer 8400/CD/MP3<br />-2 Audiobahn 10\'s in custom box<br />-Flowmaster exhaust-SLP CAI-*180<br /><br />Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity....Tony from \"Snatch\"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X