Serpentine Belt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serpentine Belt

I recently saw an article about removing the serpentine belt and reducing 1/4 mile times noticebly. Has anyone ever tried this?? If so, why does it "work"? BTW, how often should you replace the serpentine belt anyway? I have like 22,000 miles on my car and the belt seems to have lots of little cracks in it. Should I replace it? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    <b>Red 1999 Firebird M5</b><br />Whisper Lid,Borla Catback,K&N,Dual Friction Center Force Clutch,Hurst Shifter w/Lou\'s Short Stick,!FRA,Suncoast Ramair hood,160 Thermo,!maf,Chrome ZO6 Wheels, Painted Calipers, CIA Headers, Taylor Wires, NGK Spark Plugs, 3\" Catco, Jet Chip Stage II, BMR STB, LCA, PHR, SFC, Fan Switch, FTRA<br /><b>Old Dyno Numbers: 183 RWHP, 217 RWTRQ</b><br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/redsixer\" target=\"_blank\">http://community.webshots.com/user/redsixer</a>

I wouldn't recommend taking off the serpentine belt, but if you do, all the power is used to move the car and doesn't have to power the steering pump, water pump and A/C, ect. But if you run without the belt, the water pump will not cool your engine, so don't run one after another at a track if you do that. You have to let the engine cool, but I think tht would still be dangerous. I know people who get smaller belts when the run the track and they just don't run the A/C and power steering. I don't see a large noticeable gain though in taking the trouble of doing all of that.

You should also change your belt when you start to notice cracks in it. The belt is like 15-20 bucks and it takes 2 minutes to change.

Do you have any pics of your car with the Z06 rims on it. I'm interested in seeing how they look on a f-body.

[ March 18, 2002: Message edited by: daWhoady ]</p>
    <b>99\' Black Camaro SS</b> <br />M6/T-Tops - SLPLid w/K&N | Hurst Billet Plus w/ LSS | EGR Mod<p>Black 97\' Camaro T-Tops (RIP)

Comment

the belt is $60 from a Chevy Dealership...

and from Discount Autoparts it is $25 ;)

Comment

replace the belt when there are 4-6 cracks in an inch...

Comment

Haha, I posted a similar subject about this just yesterday reading the same article. I notice you are in college station...do you ever go to kroger on wednesday nights? Drop me an email sometime @ beastly311@aol.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X