Another Ticking Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Ticking Thread

Ok, I've been searching but nothing I found seems to be quite like my situation. First off, the car is a 94 3.4 M5 with 145000 miles. I have intake and exhuast done, and thats about it. When I first got the car it had a small oil leak, which later turned into a big leak. I replaced the valve cover gaskets and when that didn't fix it I took it to the shop. They replaced the oil pump seal and that fixed the leak. That was about 4-5 months ago.

Now, I have a very loud ticking, almost a knocking I would say, coming from somewhere. I've had it for about a month now. I've tried finding the source with a stethoscope, but it doesn't seem to be louder in any particular place. At first I was sure it was a lifter, but after 2 seafoams and no change (louder, if anything), I'm not so sure anymore. My oil pressure is whacky too, which I first thought was a bad sending unit or something, so I didn't pay much attention to it. The pressure sits low (second line from the bottom, I'm not sure what number that would be) and sometimes is unresponsive to RPMs. Other times it will go down when I rev it up. Lately I've noticed that it kind of "dances" along with the tick at idle, bobbing up and down a little bit in time with the ticking. I have no idea whats going on with that.

I have ANOTHER problem too. A few weeks ago, it started getting kinda hard to start. It starts every time, but when its cold its a deep, slow, grrrring kinda sound along with a high pitched whine. However, it doesn't do it after I've started it. I have to let it sit for a few hours until it does it again, otherwise it starts up fine. I assume its my starter going out, but I thought I'd mention it.

Anyway, thanks for any info. Hopefully someone can help. :(

Re: Another Ticking Thread

When's the last oil change? If its a "ticking" it could be a lifter or the like, easy way is to change the oil and add a bottle of rislone or lucas to the oil. Drive it a few days and after about 50 miles if the ticking is quieter, then it's probably valvetrain work. But something about your oil pressure doesn't seem right- and that might entail some permanent damage to the motor.

Comment

exhayst leak im guessing

Comment

doesn't the ignition system start ticking when the paks and/or wires start going out

Comment

Originally posted by speedyz
          When's the last oil change? If its a "ticking" it could be a lifter or the like, easy way is to change the oil and add a bottle of rislone or lucas to the oil. Drive it a few days and after about 50 miles if the ticking is quieter, then it's probably valvetrain work. But something about your oil pressure doesn't seem right- and that might entail some permanent damage to the motor.
          The last oil change was about 2500 miles or so, so a change is probably a good idea. Is the Lucas stuff any good? I've heard mixed reviews on it.

Also, after talking to my dad, I guess the oil gauge is working right, and I'm just stupid. :p

Is there any good way to determine if its an exhaust leak? I've put the stethoscope on both manifolds before and didn't seem to hear anything, but I can always try again.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X