SES gas mileage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SES gas mileage

I recently installed headers and high flow cat on my 99 camaro, and I have the expected SES light. But ever since the light has been on I have been getting terrible gas mileage, to the tune of only about 330 miles to the full tank. I think there is a small leak around the flange, but it doesnt seem too serious. Anyone have any idea why this is happening?

Re: SES gas mileage

Your going to have to be more definitive in regards to your terrible gas milage.

Your getting 330 miles now, but what were you getting before?

There are some guys on here that would love to get 330 miles to a tank in the city. Now if we're talking about highway milage, then you might have something to complain about.

Have you actually read what the SES code is, or are you assuming its the Post Cat 02 code? Maybe your Pre Cat O2(s) is/are shot?

But here's a thought as well; I have seen it many times after putting on a set of headers and a high performance exhaust system, the guys will complain about getting worse milage. What usually happens is the car is driven harder than it was before because is sounds better, and feels better, and the person likes to hear and feel the performance. Maybe your just driving it harder?
    Now Playing: \'99 Pewter Firebird, stock, bone stock, and nothing but stock, so help me God!<br />Comming attractions: K&N Filter, Lid Mod, Intake Bellows Smooth Pipe Mod.<br />I dream about: Forced Induction (TC or SC) or NOX (or both!)

Comment

Originally posted by CDNFB
      What usually happens is the car is driven harder than it was before because is sounds better, and feels better, and the person likes to hear and feel the performance. Maybe your just driving it harder?
      with an opening post as vague as that, I'm willing to bet that's exactly the case. The harder you drive your car, the worse gas mileage you're gonna get, performance parts or no.

Comment

Originally posted by CDNFB
        Your getting 330 miles now, but what were you getting before?
        man, i would love to get that right now:cry:

Comment

i used to...but not lately, maybe im just driving to hard hah :)

Comment

Sorry about the vagueness originally, but I very rarely fill the tank all the way but I expected to get more miles out of a full tank, especially when half of it was highway cruising. In fact a trip to the beach and back which normally used to only take just about a quarter tank took a full half tank a few weeks ago. And ever since the header install I have not been driving it hard, I have actaully been sort of babying it trying to get good mileage haha. And yes I am assuming its the post O2 sensor code, but is there any way to know?

Comment

have autozone check ur codes...thats a way to know

Comment

why put headers on and then baby it? think you have the timing backwards;)

Comment

From what I understand, the Post Cat 02 sensor doesn't effect how the engine runs. I thought that the code just showed that you had a problem, but that it doesn't change anything with your performance. Atleast that's what I've read on here several times.

As far as the leaking flange, I would check to make sure that it isn't blowing hot air on anything. We had a Bonneville that developed a leak and melted one of the wire harnesses. It was a nightmare trying to splice all of the wires that got shorted out.
                  2000 White Firebird <br />K&N Filter, Aluminum Driveshaft<br /><br />95 White Firebird - Laid to Rest<br />K&N FIPK, Flowmaster Exhaust, Jet Chip

Comment

you are right. i am in course 4 at uti and thats fuel and ignition driveability, the post cat o2 sensor is just used in emission testing, it has nothing to do with your a/f ratio
                    cant wait till my lt1 and nitrous.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X