wierd clunking/scraping noise..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wierd clunking/scraping noise..

I've got some wierd clunking/scraping noise coming from my front right wheel. I've looked, taken the wheel off and checked around and couldn't find anything hitting or scraping, so i think it may have something to do with the brake. It does it more consistently when the brakes are applied lightly and the wheel is turned about 20-30 degrees to the left.. at most speeds it's a clicking/clunking sound and when i really go slowly sometimes it's a clunking sound, and sometimes it's more of a drug out scraping sound. It seems to be at only one spot in the wheel, but i can't figure it out.

here is an extremely poor quality video that you can just hardly hear the noise in..i'll see if i can get someone else to take it so they can be outside the car..but as you can see it's raining, and all i have is my phone as far as digital recording.

http://img532.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ov00001at8.flv
    sigpic
    1996 Chevrolet Camaro
    1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
    --Appearance Moderator--

Re: wierd clunking/scraping noise..

i didnt watch the video, but i would say if it isnt brakes it would be the hub bearings, its a sealed unit that you just replace, when you jack the car try to wiggle the wheel side to side or up or down, see if there is any slop in it

Comment

I'll probably try that and disecting it some tonight or this weekend. i got a little better clip of the scraping that i will upload when i get home from work. If it is the wheel bearing, would i be correct in assuming it should be under, say, $50?
      sigpic
      1996 Chevrolet Camaro
      --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

this one actually picks it up pretty good:
        http://img532.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ov00002mn4.flv
        sigpic
        1996 Chevrolet Camaro
        --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

I would say a warped rotor or wheel bearing but I don't really know. How did you paint your rims though, they look amazing freakin awsome.
          1996 white camaro M5<br />-Custom CAI, !MAF, !EGR, Hi-Flow Cat, Magnaflow Cat-back, Removed Jack/Spare/Back seats.<br /><br />2.12 60\' Best<br />15.14 @ 90 1/4 mile Best

Comment

thanks! Prep work is key. I washed them with dawn first, then paint thinner, then sanded them down followed by another wash with dawn, made sure they were completely dry. then i taped them off and sprayed on a good 5 coats of gloss black in 10 minute incraments, followed by a good 6 or 7 coats of clear. Took a while, but well worth it in my book.

a warped rotor would explain the scraping, although the rotors are only a few months old, but the clunking is what's confusing me, leading to think it may be the caliper or the bearing..
            sigpic
            1996 Chevrolet Camaro
            --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

You may want to inspect your front hub, the bearing might be going out.

Comment

There is probably something worn in the front end. Inner tie rod end, outer tie rod end, upper ball joint, lower ball joint....take your pick. And you can't jack up the car, take the wheel off, and look for loosness or wear in the parts cause the suspension is in a different position when the weight is off and the worn joints are all in positions were there is little or no wear. You have to check for these worn parts with when the wheel is removed, but the jacking point is at the farthest out position on the lower control arm. That way the proper weight in on the suspension and you can pry and wiggle things to see what's worn.
                Now Playing: \'99 Pewter Firebird, stock, bone stock, and nothing but stock, so help me God!<br />Comming attractions: K&N Filter, Lid Mod, Intake Bellows Smooth Pipe Mod.<br />I dream about: Forced Induction (TC or SC) or NOX (or both!)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X