maintenance/tune up advice...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• maintenance/tune up advice...?

Hi all, new here. I'm driving a '96 3800 v6 camaro, 5psd convertible. had about 175,000 on her. No major problems considering the milage, I've owned it for 3 years (and about 45K miles) and only had to replace some minor things (clutch, battery, basically normal parts that break down over time).

I know a little about cars, basic maintenence and so on. Change my own oil regularly, recently flushed out the cooling system and replaced the thermostat. However, I'm not even going to pretend that I know very much...although probably more than your average driver I guess.

Anyways moving on...got 3 questions:

1) I haven't changed the spark plugs since I own the car and I have STRONG suspicion that this needs done. I've heard its a major butt pain though...any tips or suggestions with this? Also, how difficult is it to replace the plug wires? Never done either of these things and any tips are very helpful.

2) bought a new fuel filter (another thing I have no idea when was last replaced). How do you guys let out the gas pressure? I know theres a valve on the fuel rail for this but i'm not *sure* i found it. I think its on the passanger side towards the nose of the car? Once I find it how to I relieve the pressure? Any more suggestions to make this process go easier are appreciated as well!

3) I'd really like to get some headlight covers to smooth out the lines. Haven't done it yet becuase I heard this restricts airflow to the intake because it draws air through the headlight area (and from looking at it this does seem to be true). Is it true that adding covers would restrict airflow much? Anyone vouch for them? I really like the look but its not worth losing performance over.

Thanks and look forward to learning and sharing here in the future!
    Last edited by fellowtraveler87; 06-04-2007, 12:54 PM.

Re: maintenance/tune up advice...?

Here was my take on doing some of that stuff

Tune-up Tips -- coil deal, plugs, wires, tb, maf, pcv valve, fuel filter, seafoam
    http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=80203

I have a 2000 so I think my plugs are a little easier to get to

Comment

Changing the spark plusg and wires aren as bad as some people make it out to be. Just watch your knuckles when you change the plusgs, lol.

You dont have to releave the gas pressure that way cuz I never do. I just change my filter without doing so.

As for the headlght covers Ive never heard anythign like that. Our cars draw air from up under the car where the air dam is (plastic piece that hangs down under the front of the car). So if you wnat the covers then get them becuase it wont effect anythign of that nature.
      01\'Y87 Firebird:Gt1 cam,Vig.3000 stall
      AR stage 3 heads/intakes to be installed
      www.cardomain.com/id/firehawknwv
      www.vaperz.com
      PEWTER MAFIA/ Kristen's "PEWTER MAFIA KING"

Comment

here are the headlight covers i'm talking about

are you sure about where it draws air from? I think your newer f-bodys 98-02 (like the car in your sig) draw it f/ a different place than the 93-97's. here is what my engine compartment looks like, with the airbox right behind the driver side headlights:

Comment

I think its the same for all of them but not 100% on that. Hoever I still say that puting those covers on wont efect any air flow to the air box.
          www.vaperz.com

Comment

good to know. i might have to buy a pair. problem is it makes me wanna go on a camaro spending spree. spark plugs & wires, cold air intake, headers, exhaust system, altezza lights .... i could go on. but then again i'd be better off to realize that its got 175k miles and would be better off saving for a v8. :rolleyes:

Comment

There are a lot of guys on here with high milage cars that are still kicking without any problems man. It just really on how well you take care of your car. I have 70k on mine now and not had really any probs with it.
              www.vaperz.com

Comment

naw firehawk is right, the air comes from just infront of the driver front wheel, the box is located behind the headlights but that is not where the opening of the system is located. besides i would think that if anything the smoother lines of the headlight covers would create a more aerodynamic line. not that it would make a noticable difference. go with the covers

Comment

Will probably go with the covers then once I get the money. I took the airbox out and yeah it does draw air from exactly where you said. :bowdown:

just got done changing my fuel filter. a little harder than i though, mostly because its a REALLY tight fit into that bracket. i got curious and cut open the old filter just to check it out. it was...um...in need of replacement (pretty sure that BLACK thing is supposed to be yellow, lol)

the more i think about it...i'm pretty sure i'm gonna have a shop do my plugs because i can only barely feel the front two...don't think ima be able to do it very well.

Comment

you need to have acess to the plugs both from top and from the bottom of your car to change the plugs on our cars

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X