160° thermostat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 160° thermostat

I was thinking about getting a Hypertech 160° thermostat, but was wondering is it really work getting? I've heard about some of the cons and wanted to know how common they are.

Re: 160° thermostat

what year car do you have? The newer cars through a SES light with the 160*s

The debate over 160vs180 is an ongoing debate that will never end. I personally have ran a 160* thermo for like 3-4 years now with no problems at all

www.gvperformance.com carry them
    http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

I have a 2000 3.8L Camaro.

Comment

sticking a different thermo won't matter unless you tune the fans to come on at the lower temp.

Comment

dont even get me started with changing thermostats and flushes and electic cooling fan mods. POS leave the stock **** in. it aint worth messing it up

Comment

I just went to Auto Zone and got my thermostat (160 degree) for 6 bucks, Imma bout to put a fan switch on it if I do not sell my car soon and deside to keep it. The car does run cooler, though not much. I did an engine flush at the same time. It was easy to install and didnt take but 10 minutes, and no you wont feel anything diferent, only thing that will change is that your car takes longer to warm up as well as you heat. So really, for me on my stock car w/ just intake/mufler, there is no pros or cons I dont guess.

Comment

keeps you front reaching efficient temps as quickly which means more gas used. good mod :tup:

2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

I am also deciding whether I should install mine or not. I am going to do a homemade manual fan switch also at the same time when I do on my 95 3.4

Comment

call me crazy but I just grabbed a 195 degree thermostat from rockauto when I was getting some other stuff (acdelco 131115 $6.50 includes the gasket) sticking it aside for when I do a flush in the near future. Hope its not too hard to get to

I thought about the 180 but I admire the hot heat when it is cool out and I want the top down

Comment

I have a 97 rs, and have a 160 stat, when the temp is about 70, outside the car always stays about 160, but when it gets around 80, i need to turn my fans on ealy and leave them running, unless on the highway, then the car stays 160.

Comment

Originally posted by cybercide
                      call me crazy but I just grabbed a 195 degree thermostat from rockauto when I was getting some other stuff (acdelco 131115 $6.50 includes the gasket) sticking it aside for when I do a flush in the near future. Hope its not too hard to get to

I thought about the 180 but I admire the hot heat when it is cool out and I want the top down
                      hmmm....yea please explain why you got a 195* thermo. The stocker is 195* thermo so you are not upgrading anything, just throwing money away unless your thermostat has died
                      http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

Travis is dead on...

I have a 180, my engine temp stays a tad above that, even in backed up traffic

I have ttops and use my heat at nights, it's hot air and works great...

Buy a 180 at autozone (it was a couple bucks).
                        1999 Camaro Z/28
                        1973 Firebird Formula

Comment

Originally posted by 97rs4life
                          hmmm....yea please explain why you got a 195* thermo. The stocker is 195* thermo so you are not upgrading anything, just throwing money away unless your thermostat has died
                          because they don't last forever and I was under the impression that thermostats going bad are the leading cause of cars overheating in the summer? I figured being a 2000 it is about time to do a coolant change, and that would be a good time to change the thermostat? so i grabbed one while ordering some other misc things...

the $6.50 wasnt an issue but if it turns out to be a royal PITA to change it then I may curse my decision

Comment

It's easy and fast...just have to scrape the gasket off the surface, literally the hardest part lol

But why not a 180 while your in there?
                            1999 Camaro Z/28
                            1973 Firebird Formula

Comment

yeah maybe I shoulda just got a 180... but I was thinking hot hot heat would be nicer in a convertible.

I'll prob still be driving it when its freezing cold out too as long as theres no snow (but top up!) I've put cooler thermostats in cars before only to be dissappointed with the heat, I'm a skinny mofo and get cold easy

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X