Random RPM climbs at start.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random RPM climbs at start.

Like I said, I am having random RPM climbs when I start on occasion.

I go to turn the key, and the engine rools over usally like it is barely starting *putt putt* and then .. vvvvrooooom all the way to 2500. Hold there for a half second then drop back down to regular idle.

No idea whats going on, any assistance would be appreciated.

~Taylor
    You Samoans are all the same...you have no faith in the essential decency of the white mans\' culture.

Same here, although it doesn't happen all the time. I haven't noticed it in the past couple days. I wounder what it is?
    Joe<br />1995 3.4 Teal Camaro<br />80 Series Flowmaster<br />B&M Ripper Shifter<br />K&N Air Filter

Comment

maybe plugs and wires..i really dont know..

they are "cheap" mods so its wortha a try and if it doesnt fix it, its still good to upgrade

Jeff W [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ March 18, 2002: Message edited by: NBMA4V6 ]</p>

Comment

Upgrading to Bosch PLat Plugs and Taylor Wires soon but I don't think that would be the problem.

Why would a faulty spark cause the rise in RPMs when I am not giving it any throttle? My guess is it is a bad sensor somewhere but I have no idea what sensor it would be.

~Taylor
        You Samoans are all the same...you have no faith in the essential decency of the white mans\' culture.

Comment

This might be kinda far fetched, but whats the weather like where you are? It sounds like it might be some kind of choke? When I start my jeep (it's still cold in NY ) and it's cold the rpm's always stay high for anywhere from a few seconds to a couple of min's depending on the outside tempature. Then again I just looked at your sig is it ever cold in houston?

[ March 18, 2002: Message edited by: liquidonyx ]

[ March 18, 2002: Message edited by: liquidonyx ]</p>
          1994 black camaro 3.4l m5<br />18\" chrome rims 235/40r18<br />Shaved door handle\'s and emblems<br />wings west ground effects <br />harwood hood, custom interior

Comment

actually that cold weather thing isn't too far fetched. I took a trip with my car up to Idaho this winter and it was really cold. When i started my car up the rpms would rise for a little while then go back down. sometimes it would even repeat this process. Down in cali where it's warm this has never happened.
            2002 camaro SS 6 speed, black, with black leather: Whisper lid/filter<br /> 98 silver camaro v6 a4(sold)<br />few mods

Comment

Happened just today and must have been 80 degrees outside, 85 with humidity.

~Taylor

Comment

Is that a normal temp where you live. my brother went to tech school for the USAF in lackland and he said they went 20+ days with the temp over 100 degree's last year?
                1994 black camaro 3.4l m5<br />18\" chrome rims 235/40r18<br />Shaved door handle\'s and emblems<br />wings west ground effects <br />harwood hood, custom interior

Comment

Well its not summer yet, but it was plenty warm outside when I started the car.

~Taylor

Comment

Could it have anything to do with filling up with a different gas. I hear that putting gas with a different amount of octane in your car causes your car to run different for a while till your computer adapts. The only other time that ever happens to me is right after i change my oil.
                    2002 camaro SS 6 speed, black, with black leather: Whisper lid/filter<br /> 98 silver camaro v6 a4(sold)<br />few mods

Comment

check this thread it might help you out.idle problem
                      <b>94 Firebird, 3.4 V6, Red, M5</b><br /> SLP CAI, Accel 8mm Superstock Wires, Bosch Platinum +4 Plugs, Borla Exhaust, BMR Strut Tower Brace, 180* Thermostat, B&M Ripper Shifter<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/94bird\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/94bird</a>

Comment

I've been running good ole regular ever since I got the thing. Dumped in a few bottles of fuel injector cleaner too.

~Taylor

Comment

I have had the exact same problems as you with my 94 v6. I put on a flowmaster muffler and my exhaust popped, and soon afterwards i experienced the starting problems with the rpms you mentioned. as far as the exhaust goes there really isn't anything you can do about it except maybe a cutout after the cat. When i had problems with the rpms after starting the car the problem seemed to fix itself after a few days. If that doesn't work disconnect your battery and let it sit overnight to let the computer reset itself.
                          94 camaro M5<br />Dual Flow Master exhaust<br />Cutout<br />Hooker Quad Tips<br />K&N Cold Air<br />Pro 5.0 shifter<br />Autometer Tachometer

Comment

My Old IROC had this problem, was a prob with the TPS, I adjusted it and it worked ok for a few days then started having the problem again. I replaced the sensor and never had a problem again..

Oh yeah, TPS = Throttle Position Sensor

[img]graemlins/toto.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
                            99 3800 NBM Camaro - (Xcessive Xcelleration Racing Team)<br />Ram/Cold Air Induction (custom)<br />Modified 4l60e Valve Body<br />Z28 Catback<br />SS Hood <br />Modified 99 GM 3800II <br />JB Performance Engineering<br />jfbperformance@cox.net

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X