Ticking...driver's side valve cover.. - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ticking...driver's side valve cover..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ticking...driver's side valve cover..

There is a rather fast ticking sound coming from what appears to be something inside the valve cover on the driver's side of my engine...I used a hose to try to narrow down where it's coming from, and thats the best I could get...when the throttle is on, the ticking speeds up...but during idle its very steady and doesnt change pace....at first I thought it was a spark arcing, because I have a misfiring problem of some sort, that I am now beginning to believe is fuel related not electrical, but all coils appear to be alright...
    Anyways, my dad suggested that a lifter is clinging against a valve..but thats just a wild guess...any ideas?
    Also, my misfiring problem is rather annoying...idling is bad only when its cold...it hangs around 1050rpms or so, and will drop quickly as low as 900 for a tenth of a second and shoot up to 1800 for a sec and drop back down to 1000 or so....when warmed up, it hangs anywhere from 900-1100..steady...it sputters when on the gas hard...but the worst shaking and sputtering i get is when im in 3rd or 4th gear (auto tranny), and the rpms are low...say 1500.....when i get off the gas and cruise for a sec, and engage the throttle again to speed up its TERRIBLE..shakes violently...
    everyone thinks injector now, rather then electrical...any thoughts?
    Any suggestions on ANY of this?...the shaking and sputtering OR the ticking?..or both?
    Thanks so much
    98 3.8l

Re: Ticking...driver's side valve cover..

If you haven't done so recently, do a full tune up (plugs, wires, air and fuel filter), seafoam it or at least that engine restorer stuff to clean it out. This should take care of the ticking and sputtering. Also, is your ses light on at all? Either way get the comp scanned to see if there's anything lurking in there. The auto's should be idling at a constant 750-800.
    Let's flip a coin. Heads I get tail, Tails I get head.

Comment

Re: Ticking...driver's side valve cover..

could have a worn component in your drivetrain causing the tick and possibly the engine mis
      2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
      Working...
      X