oil pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil pressure

i have a 95 3.4 and after about 20 minutes of driving around the oil pressure drops to zero. it will fluctuate alittle but wont go over the red line. also when ever i stop and pop the hood the heads are smoking. any help would be great.

Re: oil pressure

your ****ed!! What's your oil level at? You must have leak somewhere. HEad gaskets, cracked something and/or oil pump failure.
    Let's flip a coin. Heads I get tail, Tails I get head.

Comment

what is your temp at? oil level? coolant level? any noises?
      http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

Oil level at zero, smoke coming off heads. The sound is probably something like two metal parts trying to weld themselves together at 1000 rpm's.
        Let's flip a coin. Heads I get tail, Tails I get head.

Comment

sounds like your sending unit went and now you own a toasted motor cheif.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
          http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
          Or this

Comment

bummer.

Comment

Don't give up now, start trouble shooting!

Make sure oil level is correct.

Make sure oil viscosity is correct.

Make sure oil pressure that you are reading is accurate. Get a mechanical pressure gauge hooked up and confirm oil pressure.

Verify that your engine temp is proper. If too hot make sure coolant level is proper, thermostat is working, vapor locks removed, water pump operation, etc.....

Smoke from heads could be valve cover gaskets leaking oil onto the exhaust manifolds.

Get in there and get on it.
              Now Playing: \'99 Pewter Firebird, stock, bone stock, and nothing but stock, so help me God!<br />Comming attractions: K&N Filter, Lid Mod, Intake Bellows Smooth Pipe Mod.<br />I dream about: Forced Induction (TC or SC) or NOX (or both!)

Comment

your screwd. look for a new engine
                Heady Navy Blue Metalic<br />Heady Catback Flowmasters<br />Heady Bilstien HDs, PAnhard rod, LCAs,SFCs<br />NGK\'s and MSD Wires, K&N flowin + Smooth Bellow<br />Y87 3800 GT Performance.<br />I love the way this car makes turns!<br /><br />1989 black Camoaro RS. R.I.P.

Comment

could be the oil return holes on the heads are stopped up building up oil inside the valce covers and not returning to the oil pan orrrrrrrrrrr your screwed

Comment

well, i have adequite oil in the engine, just had the freezer plugs changed in june as well as my thermostat and water pump, that solved my coolant problem, no problem with the temp. BUT there is a clicking sound coming from my heads, relate it to a pen tapping on a desk, thats what it sounds like. and as for oil pump, no idea man. i can tell you that my oil pan is dented in about 1/2 to 2/3 inch. the oil pump may be the culprit. if thats in the realm of possiblilty were can i find a oil pan thats not $160, because it'll be a good idea for me to change that, or should i just get a new engine, and save myself hassle and touble trying to change the pump.

Comment

The tapping that you describe in the valve train does not mean a dead engine.

The oil pan could be the root cause. Remove the oil pan and either replace it or rework/repair it. If is dented in the right spot it could be restricting the oil pickup and thus affecting oil pressure. (if you indeed have low oil pressure. Confirm it with a mechanical pressure gauge).

My money is on this senerio:
                      - You have proper oil pressure but your sender unit craps out at temperature, leading you to believe that the oil pump is failing.
                      - you see smoke when you raise the hood because your valve cover gaskets/seals are leaking.
                      - The ticking noise you hear in the valve train is just some lifter that's getting worn.

All of them individually are really small problems, but when combined look disasterous!
                      Now Playing: \'99 Pewter Firebird, stock, bone stock, and nothing but stock, so help me God!<br />Comming attractions: K&N Filter, Lid Mod, Intake Bellows Smooth Pipe Mod.<br />I dream about: Forced Induction (TC or SC) or NOX (or both!)

Comment

yersterday i had the oil changed and there was difference in the pressure, i at keep better pressure now, but its still pretty low. and while it was getting changed the guys at the shop let me go down there and look at it, the bottom most part of the oil pan is dented it, but they said it reworking it is ok so long as the bleeder bolt can come in and out. so if there is a horrific problem with the engine i've talked to autozone and i can get a new one with a three year warrant for $1700.

Comment

Originally posted by black-dragon
                          well, i have adequite oil in the engine, just had the freezer plugs changed in june as well as my thermostat and water pump, that solved my coolant problem, no problem with the temp. BUT there is a clicking sound coming from my heads, relate it to a pen tapping on a desk, thats what it sounds like. and as for oil pump, no idea man. i can tell you that my oil pan is dented in about 1/2 to 2/3 inch. the oil pump may be the culprit. if thats in the realm of possiblilty were can i find a oil pan thats not $160, because it'll be a good idea for me to change that, or should i just get a new engine, and save myself hassle and touble trying to change the pump.

If you need a new pan I have an extra ill send you

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X