Can't remove CRANKSHAFT PULLEY!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't remove CRANKSHAFT PULLEY!!!

I am trying to replace the ckp sensor and cannot get the harmonic balancer off i tried the bolt on remover but it looks like my hole do not line up. The one with the 3 arm i can get 2 of the 3 arms to grab but it moves but only one side. I would have to do this 50 time just to get it to come all the way off. I tried a pry bar to walk it off but still no luck. Can anyone tell me any other way of something to help break this thing loose?????????? thanks

Re: Can't remove CRANKSHAFT PULLEY!!!

the only way it with a pulley puller, a pry bar will not worka nd will actually damage it.

Comment

would it be ok if i spray wd on it or something.

Comment

yea that would be fine, i wish i could get a better idea of whats exactly going on

Comment

I took the drive belt off and then remove the starter. then i held the flywheel with a screwdriver and took the bolt out of the crank pulley. then all data said to use the puller with the 3 bolts to remove it to get to the ckp sensor. well when i went to put the 3 bolts in the hole on the pulley they didnt catch so i looked into the small holes with a flash light and it looks like the holes in the front have spun away from the holes that the bolts are supposed to catch in so i tried all those other methods and none are working.

Comment

this is what you do take off the s belt then put a socket wrench on the dampaner (crankshaft bolt). and put a bar from your wrench to the floor then get in you car and turn it over (start it [dont let it run long at all with the belt off] ). the bolt will break loose right away.

This does no damage to your car and you can do it even if your car doesnt run!!!! as long as your stater works.

I did it on my mustang when i had to change the timing belt.

Comment

Originally posted by superman18
              this is what you do take off the s belt then put a socket wrench on the dampaner (crankshaft bolt). and put a bar from your wrench to the floor then get in you car and turn it over (start it [dont let it run long at all with the belt off] ). the bolt will break loose right away.

This does no damage to your car and you can do it even if your car doesnt run!!!! as long as your stater works.

I did it on my mustang when i had to change the timing belt.
              hmmm, seems kinda strange, but none the less a good idea.

Comment

That's an old school trick. Personally I wouldn't suggest it to anyone, too many crazies out there and that's an easy way for them to hurt themselves. A pry bar in the flywheel has always worked for me. A lot of people suggest air tools, I haven't had success using them to remove a crank bolt.

I do think what he has trouble removing is the pulley itself and not the bolt. He said he removed the bolt already, in which case If all else fails, I would suggest using a jaw puller. Put the crank bolt back in, do not tighten it, if you do you can't pull the pulley. Drive the jaw puller screw into the crank bolt, slowly and making sure the jaws have a good grip. If they aren't positioned correctly you are gonna break off a chunk of the pulley. Don't ask how I know. Once you have pulled the pulley out a bit you can wiggle it out all the way, pretty much you just want to break that bond that has been created. Hope this helps and hopefully I did understand what you were asking.

Comment

well i tried the jaw puller and it had good grip & it was straight. The thing wasnt budging so i kept tightening and tightening and when in looked up to see if it had moved any it was cocked sideways and bent off. Some piece of metal fell out but the pulley and balancer still will not come off the car. I have it pulled far enough away that i can see behind it. The thing still wont budge though. if i just break the rest of it off is it going to damage the crankshaft or anything? Any other way to get it off?

Comment

It will only pull it out as far as the crank bolt is. The bolt will stop it from pulling anymore, unless you loosen it a few threads more. When putting pressure, the weakest link will have to give, that's the pulley. The pulley only needs to come out far enough for you to wiggle it off. Try loosening the bolt a bit more.

Comment

Originally posted by UDLOSE98
                      hmmm, seems kinda strange, but none the less a good idea.
                      it works! an old garage trick. try it

Comment

ok i got everything back together but i need to know if it will start for me to take it to the shop to be relearned or do i have to tow it to the shop to be relearned before it will crank. I got a new balancer and ckp sensor.??

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X