Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! Rounded off bolt head!!!

3.8L v6 3800 = nightmare

I have had a sputtering problem for over a year now...it basically got to the point where i would just deal with it, but now im over it....i changed all of the plug wires today, for about the 4th time in the past 12 months..the sputtering and service engine soon light went out...then it came back about 8 miles later...like it always does....long long ago when i first experienced this, i got the SES code from autozone..it was a misfire on #4....so i changed everything out, it was good...for a day..or so....now...i got the code today when it came back...says same thing, but #1...my thought is since #1 and #4 share the same coil, that the coil is bad....so i went to remove the coil, and of course, those of you who have done this know that the 1-4 coil is up underneath, and nearly impossible....well...impatient as i am began to loosen it, and rounded off the damn head...so now, im stuck...any ideas guys? i dont have much room to work with..are there any tricks of the trade to get a good grip on that head? please let me know
    im using a 5.5mm rachet ext to loosen...tried putting some tape inside of the socket to try to create a grip, but it didnt work...any other ideas? HELP!!!!!!

Re: HELP! Rounded off bolt head!!!

Craftman bolt out works great. I think they make one small enough.

Comment

dremel a pit into the head, enough to get a screwdriver into it.
      Welcome future UK stars... Darius Miller, Deandre Liggins, Kevin Galloway, Josh Harrellson

Comment

Originally posted by josh98bird
        dremel a pit into the head, enough to get a screwdriver into it.
        Thats the other thing I was thinking but he said he didnt have alot room. And I dont have 3.8 and I havent seen the engine bay up close in years so I forget what it looks like.

Comment

Originally posted by reillyracing
          Thats the other thing I was thinking but he said he didnt have alot room. And I dont have 3.8 and I havent seen the engine bay up close in years so I forget what it looks like.
          you might be able to get a small dremel in and then use extensions with screwdriver head and vice grips on the screwdriver. I only posted that idea because I had no others besides your first post.
          Welcome future UK stars... Darius Miller, Deandre Liggins, Kevin Galloway, Josh Harrellson

Comment

first, remove the coil pack bracket and setup as one unit so you have room to work instead of trying to do things under the cowl, as that is practically impossible

then try the techniques discussed above
            http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

Like Josh said if you can get a dremal in there thats your best bet.

Comment

Originally posted by 97rs4life
                first, remove the coil pack bracket and setup as one unit so you have room to work instead of trying to do things under the cowl, as that is practically impossible

then try the techniques discussed above
                How do I remove the coil pack bracket? I see a bracket up front that it looks like its bolted to, and then on the drivers side of the three coils there looks to be maybe 2 bolts...is that all it takes to remove this? and once its removed can i pull it out from under the cowl?

Comment

Originally posted by PWilliams84
                  How do I remove the coil pack bracket? I see a bracket up front that it looks like its bolted to, and then on the drivers side of the three coils there looks to be maybe 2 bolts...is that all it takes to remove this? and once its removed can i pull it out from under the cowl?
                  Here is a picture of how it all comes off, and yes it will all come away from the cowl when you unhook it, then you can work on them
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by 97rs4life
                    Here is a picture of how it all comes off, and yes it will all come away from the cowl when you unhook it, then you can work on them
                    unbelievable response..thanks so much for the pic..ill start on it first thing in the AM

Comment

unbelievable response..thanks so much for the pic..ill start on it first thing in the AM
                      no problem, glad to help

Comment

now that i know how to remove all of this, it will make it simpler..but, its still rounded off....so now what?..i went to sears.com and checked out the bolt out kits...smallest they go is 8mm....its 5.5mm...any tricks to gripping this better if its so rounded that not even pliers could get it?

Comment

I think the dremel idea would be best

Comment

now that i know how to remove all of this, it will make it simpler..but, its still rounded off....so now what?..i went to sears.com and checked out the bolt out kits...smallest they go is 8mm....its 5.5mm...any tricks to gripping this better if its so rounded that not even pliers could get it?
                            Dremel the head so that it resemble l or + and use a flathead or phillips

Comment

i wasnt sure at first what u meant, and then i thought about it...im like what good is a dremel..then the light bulb went on.....got it, good idea..im hoping some pliers will do the trick..this has become much more time consuming then i was hoping...and this is only the beginning..i have an oil leak as well..that should be great...and, my shifter gets stuck in park and wont budge...i have to shake the heck out of it for the button to go down and to be able to change gears

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X