A rattle with personality...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A rattle with personality...

So I've had this rattle for...years! I'm 80% sure it's something in the exhaust. But my clutch/tranny are pretty worn out, and I was wondering if maybe a throwout bearing would make a similar rattle? The rattle happens only on take-offs and when I get on the gas hard.

Now here's the real interesting "personality" part to it and I'm wondering if anyone has a clue to why this is.....It doesn't rattle AT ALL if I start the car cold and drive off. It won't rattle AT ALL until the car gets to the normal opperating temp. So for a few great minutes I'm rattle-free...

i had that problem too. with mine it was the catalytic converter. there is a 8year/80,000 mile warranty on it so you should be able to take it to any chevy dealership and have it changed for free if you still are in that warranty period.
    <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/cops_suck\" target=\"_blank\"> 2000 3.8L Camaro M5 </a>

Comment

my exhaust has done it several different times with different issues. make sure your clamps are tight. also, try reverse kinda hard and see ifthe car will sulk down a little and make the exhaust rattle more. my car only rattles at startup.

your symptoms sound exactly like mine.

mash the gas hard in reverse and see if you hear it. then maybe hit a few speed bumps. with the car full of passengers i bet the rattle is more apparent.
      96 Camaro 3.8 A4 Basemodel: 8 mm wires, Shift Kit, Hollowed <br />Cat(o2 sims), RKSport exhaust, IAT 5.6K resistor, Home Depot CAI<br />&gt;&gt;&gt;15.375 @ 89.27&lt;&lt;&lt;NEW BEST TIME <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/552491\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/552491</a>

Comment

check the wheel well panels, mine were loose, the screw fell out. It made a real loud rattling.

Comment

I had a rattle come from the cross section of the frame. It's directly under your arm rest, and when engine would torque up it'd angle the pipe down just enought to hit the cross section (which had been bent up once when i bottomed out)

Maybe that?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
            New Owner!
            by LETZRIDE
            I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
            5 days ago
          • ssms5411
            Little work today
            by ssms5411
            Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
            3 weeks ago
          • LETZRIDE
            Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
            by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
            Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
            By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
            Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
            02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X