Is this a bad starter or neutral safety switch? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this a bad starter or neutral safety switch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a bad starter or neutral safety switch?

A few months ago my car would grind (make a really high pitched rapid grinding noise when I turned the key) and would not start. A second time- it would not grind when turning over and start fine. It would do that off and on for a few weeks. A few days ago I went to start it and the car will not even turn over which led me to believe that my starter has died (and the grinding noise was the starter motor dieing out).

Battery is fine at 12 volts, but I am wondering if it's the starter or that neutral safety switch? I used two different ignition keys on the car (just to make sure it's not the chip) and they both gave the same dead results. Is there any way I can test the neutral safety switch or does it sound like my starter has burned out?
    <b>Sean: 1994 Camaro daily driver</b>

Sounds like the solenoid on the starter went bad. Basically, the starter must be replaced or rebuilt.
    sigpic

Comment

Hmmm, thankfully I have the replacement starter in my garage, my only problem is trying to get the starter free from the little area it is squeezed into (3.4 motor). I don't want to risk breaking the bolts but it looks like I have no choice but to drop the exhaust :(
      <b>Sean: 1994 Camaro daily driver</b>

Comment

it is DEF not your neutral safety switch. if the NSS doesnt work, or goes bad, your car wont start at all, it wont even turn over.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian:
          it is DEF not your neutral safety switch. if the NSS doesnt work, or goes bad, your car wont start at all, it wont even turn over.
          Yup, he's right. The NSS does not comes into play before the starter. If the switch is shot, power won't get to the starter, so the starter wouldn't have the chance to make any noise.

I would say its time for a new starter.
          1997 Cayenne Red Metallic Camaro<br />3.8 V6 M5<br />SLP Cold Air Intake<br />Ceramic Coated Pacesetter Headers <br />Flowmaster American Thunder Catback<br />Full 3.42 & Disc Break Rear End Swap

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X