Flash Flood - Car stalled out - HELP! - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flash Flood - Car stalled out - HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flash Flood - Car stalled out - HELP!

First of all, yes I was the idiot who got stuck in high water and stalled out my car (1997 Camaro, V6). I am already upset about this, so I don't need any reminders of how dumb I am for driving into high water, it was a TOTAL accident and I did not see the water.

Anyway, the water did not come into my car, but was up against the bottom of my car. We pushed it off the side of the road hoping it would dry out and start the next day. Well it didn't, I got the car towed to my parents and hope I can get it running again. The engine does not turn over and I am thinking the starter is gone-(never been replaced and I am at 200k miles). My Dad suggested taking out the starter and getting it tested up at Autozone.

What do you guys think, any suggestions? Or should we have a bonfire and torch the old Camaro?

Re: Flash Flood - Car stalled out - HELP!

You may have hydrolocked the motor. Do not start it or bump it off.
    Pull the plugs to evacuate all cylinders asap if the starter just clunks and cannot turn the motor.

Comment

Thanks for the advice, my Dad's friend just told me to try the same thing. Man, I hope that is it...

Comment

Good luck.

Now I reckon why SRV called one of his LPs Texas Flood...

Comment

Good call on SRV.

See the problem with North Texas/DFW area is that we don't get a lot of rain and when we do the ground is so rock hard it has no where to go and the storm drains get overwhelmed. At least that is what I am telling myself to feel better about my latest predicament. Still can't believe I am "that guy" who got stuck.

Heading home to pull the plugs, I will post tomorrow with what I find.

Comment

pull the plugs, deactivate any fuel pressure, then crank it a couple times (without fuel or plugs)
            then pray you didnt bend a rod or something else
            2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

Well, I pulled the plugs and changed the oil last night, but still nothing. The engine did have quite a bit of water in two of the cylinders (drivers rear plug & passengers middle plug), and when I cranked it without the plugs in it shot out a lot of water. The car does not want to start though. Oh, I also disassembled the air filter and replaced it.

I am pretty sure that it is getting fuel, because we can smell it when you try to start the engine. I am not working on it tonight, have other obligations. I was going to go by and disconnect both battery connections for about a day and let everything reset for Wednesday night.

If anyone has any other suggestions, let me know please!!

Thanks!

Comment

Those are good signs, kinda.

Elex or blk boxes may be shorted.

At USAF basic in San Anton, we couldnt march or run for days when it rained hard...

Comment

Update:

Well it alomst started last night. I pulled all the plugs again and cranked the engine to be sure I am getting spark, which I am. It was so close to starting. It started to backfire and really wanted to start, but the battery went dead from all the cranking that has been going on. We put the charger on the battery and I am going back to HOPEFULLY start it up tonight.

Comment

dude, depending on how much water was in there, i'd be worried. when an engine is spinning and sucks up water (rember water is incompressable) that piston will come to a dead stop and the rest of the pistons along with it. it's very likely you could've bent a rod or the crank itself. I'd be VERY careful. again, depending on how much water was in those cylinders you may very well have to bust that thing apart. sorry to tell ya man. if it starts and runs nasty, you'll know whatsup. Running with a bent rod or crank could score the hell outtta the cylinder walls or even worse spin a crank bearing... the latter of which means the engine is beyond repair.
                    2000 3.8L Camaro A4 Pewter Y87<br />K&N Filter, SLP Ram Air kit, Eibach Pro Kit, Flowmaster 80 series, Silverstars, NGK plugs and MSD Super Conductor Wires, Electric Water Pump

Comment

good luck on the start... you might have to pull the engine and

REBUILD IT... yay :)
                      "seriously it would be a good excuse to add some hp"
                      Welcome future UK stars... Darius Miller, Deandre Liggins, Kevin Galloway, Josh Harrellson

Comment

IT STARTED!! Finally...

I had my Dad's friend who use to be a mechanic come over and he got it started. I drove into work this morning and everything sounds fine so far. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X