good performace and staying n/a

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• good performace and staying n/a

ok guys i have pondered the idea of going the nitrous route, been am still timid about it since i had troubles with it on my last car (a 99 gp gt). so my question for you is what are some good mods and still be able to have a quick car. right now i have a 3" cat back, whisper lid, k&n drop with with the free ram air mod, and a short shifter. i have thought of rockers, but dont know whats best for my n/a application. i hear some say that 8.5's are best and some say 9.0's are best? any thoughts on that. i really dont want to get much deeper into the engine then that. so baiscally whats the best recipe for a strong n/a car?

I would supposed replacing the internals, but by the time all of that hard work is done. You would of spent more money then buying a Super Charger.

Comment

Gears!

Originally posted by lilchubby:
      i have thought of rockers, but dont know whats best for my n/a application. i hear some say that 8.5's are best and some say 9.0's are best? any thoughts on that.
      You mean 1.8s or 1.9s? I personally wouldn't spend money on pricey rockers for the 5hp you may get.
      Matt
      1998 Mystic Teal Camaro M5
      Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

yea i mean the 1.85's and the 1.9's. what gears would u suggest, brand, and what about a lsd, are they worth the money?

Comment

Since your car is an M5 you have 3.23 gears. A while ago everyone went with 3.42, but now it seems like most people bump up to 3.73 or 4.11. I can't tell you which would be better for you, but I would suggest doing some searches in the drivetrain section and reading up on it. Then if you have some questions post up over there and someone will help out.

As far as a LSD goes. I think it's worth the money and if you are getting gears installed might as well do that while you are at it.

Another option of course would be to buy a whole new rear end that already has better gears and a LSD. You can find lightly used rears off V8s for decent prices and its a much easier to install than opening your pumpkin to do gears.

Comment

stroker kit:

http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...ts1.php?id=230
            2000 3.8L Camaro A4 Pewter Y87<br />K&N Filter, SLP Ram Air kit, Eibach Pro Kit, Flowmaster 80 series, Silverstars, NGK plugs and MSD Super Conductor Wires, Electric Water Pump

Comment

Originally posted by Camaro Dom:
              stroker kit:

Can you explain how this is good for him when he said he didn't want to go any deeper than rockers?
              Matt
              Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

Originally posted by 98Camaro3.8:
                </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Camaro Dom:
                stroker kit:

Can you explain how this is good for him when he said he didn't want to go any deeper than rockers? </font>[/QUOTE]Can you explain to me why the post you made violates the rules of gen tech?

That being said, yeah that's way too deep for just rockers. Unless you wanted to go a little deeper and do a cam, that'd be worth the time/money, which is similar to just rockers, but yeields more power.
                2011 Camaro LS 6M, in black.

Comment

Gear is good.

g
                  2002 Pewter V6 Camaro M5 <br /><br />Quickest stock-motor N/A V6 4th Gen F-body.<br />2nd Quickest N/A V6 4th Gen F-body overall.<br />mods: Gear, weight reduction, tuning <br /><br />Fear the Gear. 13.585 @ 100.05 1.827 60\'<br /><br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.NJFBOA.org\" target=\"_blank\">www.NJFBOA.org</a>

Comment

Originally posted by navyblue2000:
                    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by 98Camaro3.8:
                    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Camaro Dom:
                    stroker kit:

Can you explain how this is good for him when he said he didn't want to go any deeper than rockers? </font>[/QUOTE]Can you explain to me why the post you made violates the rules of gen tech?

That being said, yeah that's way too deep for just rockers. Unless you wanted to go a little deeper and do a cam, that'd be worth the time/money, which is similar to just rockers, but yeields more power.
                    </font>[/QUOTE]uh... sorry, i had to re-read his post 2 times b4 i caught that he didnt wanna go past rockers. navyblue, as far as i can tell, if this is too advanced for gen-tech i didnt start the topic, but other than that i have no idea why something is in violation of gen-tech law. dont mean to sound aggitated, i'm not, i just dont understand y people are getting down on what i thought at the time was a suitable answer to his question...
                    2000 3.8L Camaro A4 Pewter Y87<br />K&N Filter, SLP Ram Air kit, Eibach Pro Kit, Flowmaster 80 series, Silverstars, NGK plugs and MSD Super Conductor Wires, Electric Water Pump

Comment

Originally posted by Camaro Dom:
                      navyblue, as far as i can tell, if this is too advanced for gen-tech i didnt start the topic, but other than that i have no idea why something is in violation of gen-tech law.
                      He was talking about my response, not yours. ;)

He's being kind of an *** lately and didn't like that I pointed out that what you said didn't go with the original question.

[ December 24, 2005, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: 98Camaro3.8 ]
                      Matt

Comment

Id recommend cam too...cam is one of those things that are'nt as hard to do as you would think. Especially since the engine can remain in the car.

Somthing to think about. If your not comfy with it then dont, but there are some good power gains to be had
                        3.8L Dk Blue 1998 Camaro<br /><br />Soon to have 80\'s in the back

Comment

what is a good cam option for my car. im just about ready to go back to nitrous if i dont find a better option soon. price range for these cams? install difficulty? thanx again

Comment

well...diffuculty wise its marginal.. IF you have good confidence in your general mechanical skills and think you can handle taking the entire top half of the motor off then its prolly something you can accomplish in a weekend or so.

Check the cam sticky in the advanced tech forum for info on cams. I'm planning on putting either the GT1 or GT2 cam in mine this summer.

As far as price...done RIGHT (timing chain, gaskets, rockerbolts, new springs, retainers) its going to run you about 600-700 dollars depending on what you get. I've heard you can throw in a GT2 (the more aggressive of the two i mentioned) with stock springs, pushrods, etc and just replace the timing set.

Either way your looking prolly over 400
                            3.8L Dk Blue 1998 Camaro<br /><br />Soon to have 80\'s in the back

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X