Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by viper04af:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Marty85:
    I work at a repair shop and do brake jobs all the time. I can tell you with confidence that its nothing to worry about. If they replaced the rotors then that explains it. Rotors come inside a plastic bag and are covered in machine oil during the cutting and shipping process. If they did not clean this oil off then it burns off during the first few braking attempts causing smoke. I actually find this quite fun because after I do a brake job and drive the vehicle ill get up about 70 and just stand on the brakes. Theyre a little unresponsive at first but then the oil starts to burn off and braking power returns. After rolling to a complete stop smoke will pour out of the front wheels like theyre on fire and I let it sit and minute and do a couple more light stops to get the pads seated in good before letting the owner have it. Trust me thats mroe than likely all it is.
    where do you work?

if you took my car to 70MPH i would kick your ***

thats why if i must take my car any where and they won't let me ride along in the test drive... i flash the PCM with 200 rpms rev limit and 50 MPH speed limiters

you should see the look on there face

them - well car seems fine but won't go above 2000 rpm or 50mph

me - WTF was you tring to do to my car? was you trying to drive it hard?

them - ahh well ummm
    </font>[/QUOTE]Naw that was just an exageration. I cant even hit 70 mph down the road we test drive on so its usually really hard stops from 45 mph. When you first hit the brakes though from 45 it feels like 70 from how far it takes to actually start slowing down.
    1995 Arctic White Camaro. 3.4L/A4<br /><br />\"Stupid men make mistakes, wise men learn from mistakes\"

Comment

Originally posted by Marty85:
      </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by viper04af:
      </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Marty85:
      I work at a repair shop and do brake jobs all the time. I can tell you with confidence that its nothing to worry about. If they replaced the rotors then that explains it. Rotors come inside a plastic bag and are covered in machine oil during the cutting and shipping process. If they did not clean this oil off then it burns off during the first few braking attempts causing smoke. I actually find this quite fun because after I do a brake job and drive the vehicle ill get up about 70 and just stand on the brakes. Theyre a little unresponsive at first but then the oil starts to burn off and braking power returns. After rolling to a complete stop smoke will pour out of the front wheels like theyre on fire and I let it sit and minute and do a couple more light stops to get the pads seated in good before letting the owner have it. Trust me thats mroe than likely all it is.
      where do you work?

if you took my car to 70MPH i would kick your ***

thats why if i must take my car any where and they won't let me ride along in the test drive... i flash the PCM with 200 rpms rev limit and 50 MPH speed limiters

you should see the look on there face

them - well car seems fine but won't go above 2000 rpm or 50mph

me - WTF was you tring to do to my car? was you trying to drive it hard?

them - ahh well ummm
      </font>[/QUOTE]Naw that was just an exageration. I cant even hit 70 mph down the road we test drive on so its usually really hard stops from 45 mph. When you first hit the brakes though from 45 it feels like 70 from how far it takes to actually start slowing down.
      </font>[/QUOTE]Way to improperly break in fresh brakes :rolleyes:

People like you are the reason I NEVER let anyone other then my wife and I to touch my car.
      <a href=\"http://pics.projectpredator.com/thumbnails.php?album=16\" target=\"_blank\">2003 Zinc Yellow Mustang GT</a> 1 of 701<br />ET : TBD<br />But our shenanigans are cheeky and fun! Yeah, and his shenanigans are cruel and tragic. Which... makes t

Comment

Originally posted by 99FirebirdV6:
        So I just had my front brake rotors and pads replaced at Midas.
        [img]graemlins/slap.gif[/img]

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/799659

Comment

yeah.. you do need to properly heat cycle brake pads, else they wear our faster and make a lot more noise. standing on them the from any speed the first time you use the new pads is not proper. If you suscribe to the SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) way of doing things, its the 30 - 30 - 30 method. Thirty stops from 30 MPH with 30 seconds in between to cool off everything. The braking is done with approximately a -7 - -9 ft/s^2 deceleration rate. and since most people dont have access to accelerometers, thats a moderate stop, not babying the brakes but not standing on them either. I use this method myself and it indeed cuts down on brake squeal. I use a little longer than 30 seconds to cool too.. say 45-60 secs each stop. sure, teh other way seats teh pads, but it doesnt properly heat cycle the pads.
          Phill<br /><br />95 camaro... need money for turbo project... <br />94 S10 Blazer - winter beater - infinity system to be installed soon<br /><br />\"The man who says it cant be done should not interrupt the man doing it...\"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X