Thermostat question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermostat question

Hey yall, i'm thinking about getting a jet chip and it says i need a new thermostat to use it. I have a 93 firebird, and i'm literally a noob. Could u guys please answer some Q's. First off what does a thermostat do for your car? Second, where is it located (in my car)? Thirdly, why would i need a new one with a jet chip? Finally, is it difficult to install? Thanx

Re: Thermostat question

installation is easy, easy for a n00b too:).
    thermostat regulates the coolant flow into the engine.
    you want a lower temp therm. to let coolant into the engine earlier to keep your engine cooler.

Stock is 195*, you want a 180 or 160...I have a 180.

some of the smarter guys may have better explanations for you tho :)
    1999 Camaro Z/28
    1973 Firebird Formula

Comment

What else do you have done to your car, out of curiosity?

1998 White Camaro 3800, A4, MagnaFlow Cat-Back, Zexel & 3.42's, Jet Chip Stage 2, Whisper Lid, and Ram Air.

Comment

Originally posted by tkoforpresident
        Finally, is it difficult to install? Thanx
        Can be aggravating...but not impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by badinfluenceRS
          installation is easy, easy for a n00b too:).
          thermostat regulates the coolant flow into the engine.
          you want a lower temp therm. to let coolant into the engine earlier to keep your engine cooler.

Stock is 195*, you want a 180 or 160...I have a 180.

some of the smarter guys may have better explanations for you tho :)
          thanx man, and thanx for understanding the noobishness

Comment

Originally posted by flyfrito_SS
            What else do you have done to your car, out of curiosity?
            by the time i put in the thermostat, i will have a flowmaster cat back 80 series, high flow cat, and K&N FIPK, and obviously the jet chip

Comment

and to know the location of it in my car would be great too lol

Comment

and to know the location of it in my car would be great too lol
                It is mounted in the lower intake manifold, underneath the upper intake manifold (upper air plenum). Follow your upper radiator hose from the radiator to the engine and you will see the thermostat housing.

Comment

Originally posted by nascar24jd
                  It is mounted in the lower intake manifold, underneath the upper intake manifold (upper air plenum). Follow your upper radiator hose from the radiator to the engine and you will see the thermostat housing.
                  allright, is it hard to get too when your changing the thermostat?

Comment

allright, is it hard to get too when your changing the thermostat?
                    Yes, it is a bit difficult. Look in the tech section and you will find a really good write up explaining how to change it. I actually have the same car and am having a problem right now with the thermostat. The bolts are frozen and I cannot loosen them. I am a pretty experienced mechanic and I am sure that if I pull any harder I will snap the bolts off. So now I am at a stand still. I have sprayed them with PB Blaster and I am giving it a few more days to soak.

So, in theory it is simple. But in reality it can be a major pain in the neck.

Comment

Originally posted by nascar24jd
                      Yes, it is a bit difficult. Look in the tech section and you will find a really good write up explaining how to change it. I actually have the same car and am having a problem right now with the thermostat. The bolts are frozen and I cannot loosen them. I am a pretty experienced mechanic and I am sure that if I pull any harder I will snap the bolts off. So now I am at a stand still. I have sprayed them with PB Blaster and I am giving it a few more days to soak.

So, in theory it is simple. But in reality it can be a major pain in the neck.
                      i'll check the tech section for the write up, I live up north should i wait til its warmer to change it than??

Comment

i'll check the tech section for the write up, I live up north should i wait til its warmer to change it than??
                        It's really up to you. If you don't mind working out in the cold then go for it.

Comment

I don't think he means they are really frozen (as in cold) the bolts seized up and wont come out. I had the bolts on my cat do that. had the exhaust guy in town torch them out for me

Comment

Originally posted by 97burnout
                            I don't think he means they are really frozen (as in cold) the bolts seized up and wont come out.
                            That's funny. I did not even think of that as I live in Miami and nothing freezes down here...:excited:

Comment

Originally posted by 97burnout
                              I don't think he means they are really frozen (as in cold) the bolts seized up and wont come out. I had the bolts on my cat do that. had the exhaust guy in town torch them out for me
                              duh i'm retarded, so it's more of something u should use a impact tool?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X