ABS INOP light... is this normal???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ABS INOP light... is this normal???

Allright, i was spinning the tires trying to go up a hill covered in snow.

Halfway up the hill (and after almost 2 minutes) the ABS INOP light comes on, and stays on. I let the car idle for a little bit, thetn shut it off and turned it back on. The light stayed on, then turned off after i started moving.

What does this mean? Is it something that happens when the tires are spinning?

Also, I have a question about the ABS.. i hit my brakes really hard, and it was pushing the pedal back, but what is the sound suppose to be like? The sound i heard.. kinda sounded like trying to put the car in gear without pressing the clutch in... like a grinding sound.. or whatever..

is this normal?

Thanks

I have a 1998 v6 camaro

the sound your describing does sound normal. the sound is like a deep grinding. it has a deep groan to it. do you have traction control? if i remember correctly, your abs cannot operate when your traction control does. correct me if im wrong cause its been awhile since i went through brakes at school, my books are at work and i dont do much work with them.
    2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

abs inop light could be a speed sensor going out
      *Matt

Old people shouldnt use the internet.

Comment

same thing happened to me 2 times last year under pretty much the same conditions. i wouldnt worry about it. the sound your hearing is perfectly normal, thats just the abs motors pumpin the brakes fer ya. i freaked out when i saw the light too but my guess is just that since ur spinning tires so much the computer cant comprehend so much wheel spin and just kinda figures something is wrong and throws a trouble code at ya. if it keeps throwing codes at you or if ur abs quits, then worry about it, but fer now, u should be fine.
        2000 3.8L Camaro A4 Pewter Y87<br />K&N Filter, SLP Ram Air kit, Eibach Pro Kit, Flowmaster 80 series, Silverstars, NGK plugs and MSD Super Conductor Wires, Electric Water Pump

Comment

thanks.

im assuming this is normal then, since it has happened to more than one person [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I believe whenever your tracion light is on for so long it will shut down ABS. Other people have said the same thing although most the storys start with "I was doing donuts...". When you turn off your car and wait for a little while it will reset the system. So no worries.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X