oil crank case cleaner, green antifreeze - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

oil crank case cleaner, green antifreeze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil crank case cleaner, green antifreeze

what is hydro-lock?

Now, lets say i have an engine that had its oil changed 5 times and it has 100,000 miles on it. Will the seafoam take all of the crap out of the engine, and make it like it has had normal oil changes? Also, if it hasnt had alot of oil changes, then wouldnt it be bad for the engine? (because there is so much dirt in there, and after you take the dirt out, there is now a bunch of gaps)?

Also, i have an unrelated question..

Instead of putting seafoam in ym engine, i would rather get some kind of engine cleaner, and here is what i mean:

I want something where i pour it into my oil filler tube (just like you do with some of the seafoam) and i run the engine for a while, and it cleans all of the gunk and **** in the engine and then i pour that out, and put normal oil in? Or is this what seafoam does? (and if it is, can i just put the seafoam in the crankcase only, instead of sucking it through the brake booster?)

and my 3rd thing has to do with dexcool.

Should i take it out? I have seen many different opinions... You MUST put dexcool in the engine because it is dexcool only... if you put the green stuff in, it will corrode and destroy your water pump.... dexcool sucks, and will ruin your engine.... i have put the green stuff in my engine, and evereything is fine..

ect ect.

My friend is a mechanic and says it wolnt work, because it will corrode stuff... and he says that there is no way to get all of the dexcool out, and it will mix with the green stuff, and mess it up.

so.. what are your guy's opinions on it? i have a 3800 in my 98 camaro.. if i did this, how much antifreze would it take? (We have cold winters here, and hot summers i would say avg temp in wither is 32F or below.. and the avg summer temp is 85F) Im assuming i would just want to do a 50/50 mix.. so how much water and green stuff would it take?

Oh yea.. how much oil does my car take? I bought it used just recently, and it doesnt have the manual. so how much does it take? (including the filter) my impala has a 3.4 and it takes like 4.2L or something stupid like that...

thanks alot [Smile]

ok, since someone rudely locked my thread, im making a new one, without the seafom

EDIT*

oh, and the link that was posted in my thread DID NOT help me.

nothing rude about it. seafoam has been discussed a million times, do a search on seafoam you will find your answers. do not make a new post about it. the link was to give you an idea of what seafoam can be used for.

here:
    http://www.camarov6.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi there are 11 pages of threads that happen to talk about seafoam. im not trying to be a jerk about it but use the search before you post something, it makes life easier on everyone.

anyways, the 3.8 should use about 4.5 quarts of oil.

sorry for the misunderstanding

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
    http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
    Or this

Comment

Hydrolock occurs if:

1: You submerged your front end in a deep water and your fabricated cold air intake sucks up the water into the engine and it dramatically destroys your engine. The liquid pressures retained in the cylinders can force engine components to seize and bend rods, smack valves due to runaway piston clearances, skipped timing chains & broken timing sprockets etc.

It's an unpredictable event since you need a large volume of water or liquid to force an engine to seize. I haven't seen any documented cases of severe hydrolock.

A cleaner besides Seafoam? You may use "Gunk 5 Minute Motor Flush". It's a solvent you pour into your oil crankcase just before to change your dirty oil. Add 1 can of Gunk and run your engine for 5- 10 minutes on idle. Afterwards just drain the contaminated oil and your filter for fresh oil and a new filter. You should notice a cleaner dipstick even after 1500 miles on a fresh oil change and opt to "Gunk" it again and replace the oil and filter again if that satisfies your peace of mind.
      Our 3800 Series II motor takes 4.5 qts of motor oil but...I add 5 qts and purchase the AC Delco oil filter PF-52. The filter is obviously longer in length than the Fram PH3387-A. Fram makes an oil filter like the PF-52, it is available at Walmart or any other decent auto parts store under the part number PH-3980. This is the same oil filter I use on my Firebird 3.1 motor and it fits. Just remember to dab clean motor oil on them black neoprene rubber gaskets that seal the filter to the block. Makes for easier removal at your next oil change.

The never ending Dex-Cool debate is something I am about to tackle next spring. In my opinion, I am going to stick with Dex-Cool. A thorough chemical flush and lots of water should decontaminate the engine from all that orange mud created by the presence of oxygen inside the cooling system. Oxygen breaks down Dex-Cool and forms your muddy sludge common in our F-Body cars.
      Personally I have never had a problem yet but others swear the worst against it. Ask your local GM dealership tech what he says and follow your best judgement. You can't learn from one opinion so try several.

If your going to fog your engine internally with the Seafoam trick, replace your spark plugs afterwards. The tips of your fancy plugs will be caked with carbon from the decarbonization process of Seafoam. I found this to be true and quickly bought a set of Ac Delco Iridium plugs. The vehicle ran so much better with power you can feel.

I hope this info helped you out!
      Black \'96 RS Camaro, 3.8 V6 Series II, M5, Stock 200 HP, 204K miles! Stock \'91 Firebird 3.1 V6 automatic w/ overdrive. 266,400 miles on it. \'83 Pontiac Trans Am,305 LG4, Cowl Induction,Borg Warner 5 Speed,T-Tops,Gale Banks Exhaust System:$800 obo

Comment

Originally posted by vanbibber:
        nothing rude about it. seafoam has been discussed a million times, do a search on seafoam you will find your answers. do not make a new post about it. the link was to give you an idea of what seafoam can be used for.

here:
        http://www.camarov6.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi there are 11 pages of threads that happen to talk about seafoam. im not trying to be a jerk about it but use the search before you post something, it makes life easier on everyone.

anyways, the 3.8 should use about 4.5 quarts of oil.

sorry for the misunderstanding
        im also sorry for being rude, but my post had so much more questions other than seafoam, and i kinda wanted them answered. I mean, would you rather me make a thread with a bunch of questions, or a bunch of threads with one question? ;)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
          New Owner!
          by LETZRIDE
          I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
          2 days ago
        • ssms5411
          Little work today
          by ssms5411
          Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
          2 weeks ago
        • LETZRIDE
          Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
          by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
          Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
          By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
          Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
          02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X