Ready to hit the 200,000 mile mark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ready to hit the 200,000 mile mark

I just changed my oil at 197K. According to my GM owners manual and maintenance schedule, I should also cover the cooling system every 100K miles. While I agree this is a valid point, is there anything else besides that? The owners manual goes up to only 100,000 miles of preventative maintenance scheduling.
    I am still undecided about flushing out Dex-Crap in spring 2006 for the green stuff but I haven't overheated yet.

Most of my mod money went straight to new tires and brakes, an Optima battery, a new alternator with spark plugs and wires. I also replaced my rear end with another extremely low mileage unit. The M5 transmission has fresh fluid too.

All I have left is my clutch issue, the slave master resevoir and rear main seal to deal with in the future. The waterpump isn't exhibiting any problematic noises yet either.

The exhaust is still stock with no signs of rot and I did most of the ignition except the coils which has been problem free. Overall, I am impressed with my long service life of my black '96 Camaro.

Maybe there is something I didn't cover but feel free to address what else can be brought up when hitting the 200K mark. Thanks in advance!
    Black \'96 RS Camaro, 3.8 V6 Series II, M5, Stock 200 HP, 204K miles! Stock \'91 Firebird 3.1 V6 automatic w/ overdrive. 266,400 miles on it. \'83 Pontiac Trans Am,305 LG4, Cowl Induction,Borg Warner 5 Speed,T-Tops,Gale Banks Exhaust System:$800 obo

Thats a good question. I just changed mine over to the green but im only at about 105k. I guess stick with the dex cool unless you just feel like flushing your cooling really well. Its really up to you.
    <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261</a> Green 1997, 105k, all stock except for Z28 front springs, Air shocks in the rear, home made coolant recovery tank, home made battery hold down.

Comment

have you done your fuel filter yet? thats a good one to do and cheap too. hope it keeps going strong for you!
      <a href=\"http://cardomain.com/id/articacid\" target=\"_blank\">2002 35th Anniv. Black Camaro M5</a><br />Mods: Carsound Cat, SLP Loudmouth, Whisper Lid w/ K&N, J&M LCA\'s, ST Springs, eD Stereo(146.7 dB)<br />\'88 K1500 305 V8 Auto(Winter)

Comment

who ever said fbodies dont last long can go to hell. this just goes to show that if you take care of your car it will last forever.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
        http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
        Or this

Comment

if it were me, id probably check out the suspension, after 200k im sure its getting worn out by now.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
          Or this

Comment

Suspension, I totally forgot about that. I guess a Search will point me in the right direction.

As for the fuel filter, I just bought that item 30 minutes ago but I'm a complete novice when it comes to replacing it and this will be my 1st time. Any step by step illustrations available for me to follow?
            I guess I need protective eyewear, latex gloves and open ventilation for starters. Feedback would be helpful!
            Black \'96 RS Camaro, 3.8 V6 Series II, M5, Stock 200 HP, 204K miles! Stock \'91 Firebird 3.1 V6 automatic w/ overdrive. 266,400 miles on it. \'83 Pontiac Trans Am,305 LG4, Cowl Induction,Borg Warner 5 Speed,T-Tops,Gale Banks Exhaust System:$800 obo

Comment

you wouldnt happen to have a haynes manual do you? it tells ya how.

Follow me!
              Or this

Comment

As a matter of fact I do have the Haynes manual, dirty and oily but it will do for now.
                Pg 1-19 describes the fuel filter replacement procedures.

Back to the garage for now...

Comment

its an easy one, shuldnt take you very long.

with suspension, your shocks will be shot to hell if never been repalced before.
                  <a href=\"http://cardomain.com/id/articacid\" target=\"_blank\">2002 35th Anniv. Black Camaro M5</a><br />Mods: Carsound Cat, SLP Loudmouth, Whisper Lid w/ K&N, J&M LCA\'s, ST Springs, eD Stereo(146.7 dB)<br />\'88 K1500 305 V8 Auto(Winter)

Comment

ahhh fuel filters r easy, ya squeeze the one end, cover ur arm in gas and then unscrew the other end with 2 cresent wrenches, reverse for installation (minus the gas coverage part) and ur done.

its all about oil changes guys... my friends dad has driven almost every car he owned into the ground. he changes his oil RELIGIOUSLY. his method is this: "if i cant read 'add' through the oil on the dipstick, its dirty" every car he's had has lasted him 200K+ miles.

things you might have forgotten: air filter and pcv. (btw - i heard from somewhere that really nasty things can happen if a pcv siezes up on you like blowing piston rings and stuff, is that true or a bunch of bull?)
                    2000 3.8L Camaro A4 Pewter Y87<br />K&N Filter, SLP Ram Air kit, Eibach Pro Kit, Flowmaster 80 series, Silverstars, NGK plugs and MSD Super Conductor Wires, Electric Water Pump

Comment

(btw - i heard from somewhere that really nasty things can happen if a pcv siezes up on you like blowing piston rings and stuff, is that true or a bunch of bull?)

you don't want a clogged PCV system. a bad pcv valve will cause many evident and often obvious symptoms. one bad thing is sludgey oil.
                      01 Firebird A4 3.42
                      Powerdyne @ 6 PSI
                      and other mods
                      Visit Project Unleashed for guides and info.

Comment

holy cow man!if you got an aluminum radiator or block or heads you need dex cool.they sell cheap little wrenches just for chev fuel filter.me and matt are trying to get motivated to replace timing chain as when it fails piston might hit valve.maybe im wrong tho!
                        homer

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X