Quickness Off The Line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quickness Off The Line

I have a '99 Firebird convert. with A/T. Wondering what I could do to improve quickness off the line short of putting new gearing in. Any suggestions?

Re: Quickness Off The Line

A torque converter and gears are the best thing for automatics and quick launches. For an everyday driver, 3.73's and about a 3000-3200 stall will run damn good. If you're a little more ambitious go with 4.10's.
    <b>Black</b> 1998 Pontiac <i>Firebird</i> A-4 swap<br />271.4rwhp/259.4rwtq NA<br />13.30@102.44 <br /><a href=\"http://www.freewebs.com/wickedsix98\" target=\"_blank\">www.freewebs.com/wickedsix98</a>

Comment

A limited slip differential and 3.42 gears worked pretty well for me, since I cannot afford the torque conv. Try starting there.

1997 30th Anniversary Camaro.
      SLP CAI, Dynomax, PCM tune, SS Hood, Clear Corners, T-Tops, Sony Xplod

TEAM RED

Comment

Clean up the engines ability to breath.

CAI with low restriction airfilter, tube headers (get rid of the log style manifolds) and a Cat back system.
        Now Playing: \'99 Pewter Firebird, stock, bone stock, and nothing but stock, so help me God!<br />Comming attractions: K&N Filter, Lid Mod, Intake Bellows Smooth Pipe Mod.<br />I dream about: Forced Induction (TC or SC) or NOX (or both!)

Comment

Go with WickedSix's recommendation. While air intake mods are good, they won't improve your launch as much as gears/converter or just gears alone.
          -Eric<br />2002 Navy Blue Camaro...Striped and Stalled. 35th Anniversary SS wheels <br />Best ET: 15.384 @ 88.32 on street tires<br />Project Whitney: Goal, 14.0 1/4 by summer 2008.

Comment

shoot lance, I've had 4.10s...loved them
            I wanna try Andrew's setup and go with a 4600 stall and 3.73s as a DD LoL
            2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

I gotta recommend 3.42's and also some fatter, better rims/tires. I switched to C5 9.5 rears w/ some better tires and got a lot better traction, and therefore better 'quickness of the line'
              1999 Camaro Z/28
              1973 Firebird Formula

Comment

Originally posted by badinfluenceRS
                I gotta recommend 3.42's and also some fatter, better rims/tires. I switched to C5 9.5 rears w/ some better tires and got a lot better traction, and therefore better 'quickness of the line'
                bigger and fatter tires and rims don't make you quicker off the line unless you are spinning like a mofo right now. They are actually heavier and take gearing away because of size and the weight is more rotating mass to slow you down. That is why people like to keep their stocker salad shooter 16"s for track and then have the chrome rims for the road.
                http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

I thought he asked for recommendations other than gears!

Here's another one that doesn't involve gears, use a tire/rim size that gives you less height than the tires/rims you have now. It works just like gears would, more RPM off the line. But I'm sure it would look kinda strange!
                  Now Playing: \'99 Pewter Firebird, stock, bone stock, and nothing but stock, so help me God!<br />Comming attractions: K&N Filter, Lid Mod, Intake Bellows Smooth Pipe Mod.<br />I dream about: Forced Induction (TC or SC) or NOX (or both!)

Comment

.....and would reduce handling
                    its a good suggestion, and a small price to pay for a little more acceleration :)
                    2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

nitrous

/thread

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                        New Owner!
                        by LETZRIDE
                        I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                        4 days ago
                      • ssms5411
                        Little work today
                        by ssms5411
                        Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                        2 weeks ago
                      • LETZRIDE
                        Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                        by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                        Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                        By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                        Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                        02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X