gas tank not filling up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gas tank not filling up

the last 2 times i have put gas in my car, the gas pumper will click like my car is full of gas, but it only puts like 6 or 7 gallons in. my fuel gauge will show that its half full, so that is accurate, and this is the same gas station i always go to.
    <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/483076\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/483076</a> <br />TSP rumbler, straight pipe, corvette servo. <br />Soon - 3.42+lsd,headers, cai,

if this has happened on more than one pump, your fuel gage is not accurate. i would think the likelihood of two independant pumps having the exact same problem would be pretty damned slim.

i bet your tank is full of gas, when your gage shows 1/2 full, then when your gage shows empty, you actually still have 1/2 a tank of gas.

you could always check this theory out by setting your tripometer & see how many miles you get until you run out of gas. or just try a different gas station or different pump.

--matt

Comment

Just wait a couple seconds and squeeze the trigger again. If your gas gauge is accurate, then the pump will continue until your tank is full. It may be filling up too quick for the gas to go all the way to the other end, and if it backs up, the gas will trigger the sensor in the pump and automatically shut it off.
      94 Camaro 3.4 A4 <br />T-Tops<br />In the process of an LS1 swap.

Comment

could the fuel pump be causing this? the reason I ask is b/c ever since I had mine changed my car no longer reads full...only 3/4 of the way. Before I changed the fuel pump it was reading full. It really isnt a big concern for me...just as long as it doesnt read full when i'm really on E!
        94 3.4L A4 white t-tops<br />moroso cai<br />3\"hi-flow pacestter exhaust<br />b&m shift kit<br />catco cat<br />01 T/A rear w/ 3.73\'s and posi<br />1 pc aluminum ds<br />blacked out signals

Comment

i dunno if the fuel pump has anything to do with this, but since you just had work done on it & now you're having problems, i'd really look into this a bit more.

--matt

Comment

The mechanic probably damaged the float assembly when he removed/installed the fuel pump. If you had it installed recently, contact the mechanic. He is liable for the damage to your vehicle. I know of 2 people that had this happen. Both of them had to sue their mechanic in small claims court ... both won. I know one of them received about $1800.00 from the suit (3 times the cost of damages ... which was parts and labor to install by a dealership.

When you contact your mechanic, always follow-up in writing (by mail) to establish a record of notice and attempts to reconcile the dispute before court. Be sure to establish reasonable deadlines for the mechanic to repair the vehicle. If you have to goto court, you will need copies of all correspondence with the mechanic, a copy of the repair invoice, affadavits from a couple of people witnessing that they noticed your fuel guage worked before the repair and didn't immediately after (hopefully, someone credible noticed), a copy of an invoice or quote to repair the damage, and maybe an affadavit from another shop stating that the mechanic probably messed up the float calibration during the repair.

Anyhow, I hope things work out for ya.
            2001 Kroger\'s shopping cart<br />MODS-<br />* disabled locking wheel<br />* used Flowmaster and some LS1 parts ... I think there\'s an old Bilstein shock in there too.

Comment

I wont be able to do anything bout it now....its been almost 3 yrs...I never did b/c it really had no effect on my car...I know if i put 20 bucks in the tank...it will be full..and I know this b/c it reads 3/4 for almost 70 miles (never really counted) then starts to move down..

I guess i was just glad to get my car back from the shop that as long as it didn't effect the car itself..I really didn't care too much [img]graemlins/fluffy.gif[/img]
              94 3.4L A4 white t-tops<br />moroso cai<br />3\"hi-flow pacestter exhaust<br />b&m shift kit<br />catco cat<br />01 T/A rear w/ 3.73\'s and posi<br />1 pc aluminum ds<br />blacked out signals

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X