Camaro acting up..PLZ HELP..Kinda long!! - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Camaro acting up..PLZ HELP..Kinda long!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camaro acting up..PLZ HELP..Kinda long!!

This dam car is making me friggin mad! I dont even like driving it anymore. I was having some problems with fuel economy and no power so I replaced plug wires, coils, fuel filter, air filter, pcv, seafomed the hell out of it and it ran strong for about a week, the strongest since Ive owned the dam thing.
    Now along with the exhaust sounding horrible(got louder and gurgles, kinda like a boat), like a tin rattling sound, popping(like its trying to suck air back up the tailpipes) and wont shift properly, I have no power, wont down shift when floored and it idles poorly. I took the EGR hose(the one that runs to the intake) and canister thing(right next to the hose) off to make sure it wasn't clogged and they were really black and now I have a leak their(hissing sound) that I cant seal up.
    Im not getting any frigging error codes or SES lights so Im not sure where to start. I figure that if the O2's and cat are bad their gonna throw a SES light.
    Can I buy autotap to help me diagnose it. Can anyone help me out?
    Thanks,
    Shane
    00 Pewter Y87 Camaro-SS Hood/Chrome rims, Black Halos, Clear corners, Pacesetters, V8 K&N FIPK, 3\" B&B TriFlow, HPP3, MSD Coils, Taylor wires, Transgo stage II, Edge 3000 Stall, 180* thermo, SLP Bowtie Grill<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/468763/1/\" target=\"_blank\">Carro</a>

Might want to have it on a scanner anyways, just to make sure that no codes have popped. You might also want to replace that bit of hose that is causing the hissing sound.

As for the no power, could be clogged injectors, but if you seafoamed it, that may not be it. As for using autotap, yeah, if you could purchase it, it will help. The only thing about it is that you have to know what you are looking for, and looking at. Make sure that you know what is out of the ordinary when trying to diagnose things with it. You might also want to try doing a compression test and see if you are not losing compression in the cylinders. Its a few ideas for ya.
    1995 Pontiac Firebird
    2008 Chevrolet Silverado LT Crew Cab 4x4

Comment

Yeah I ran probably 3/4 of a bottle through the tank, half through the vacuum line and the other half to 3/4 I dumped in the oil. The part that is next to the EGR hose(canister looking thing) has a gasket below it that Im going to replace so that should hopefully seal up that leak.
      The problems were occuring before the leak, just so you know, that was my fault [img]graemlins/slap.gif[/img] . I need some more advice on where I can start looking.
      I thought the cat was clogged by the way the exhaust had gone rabid on me, but its not glowing red and doesnt smell like eggs. Im getting alot of rasp and popping threw my exhaust and it sounds deep. The car feels like something is really holding it back, like its really struggling under load and the shifts are all out of wack.
      I have a broken header bolt on my drivers side manifold but it doesnt seem to be hissing and I cant hear of feel any hot air in the engine bay(just to clue you in). I wish something would break or give some sort of sign so I could just fix the dam thing.
      Any help would be GREATLY appreciated
      Thanks,
      Shane
      00 Pewter Y87 Camaro-SS Hood/Chrome rims, Black Halos, Clear corners, Pacesetters, V8 K&N FIPK, 3\" B&B TriFlow, HPP3, MSD Coils, Taylor wires, Transgo stage II, Edge 3000 Stall, 180* thermo, SLP Bowtie Grill<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/468763/1/\" target=\"_blank\">Carro</a>

Comment

Longshot.....maybe you have a vacuum leak of some type. Check all your hoses and make sure everything is connected securely.

Maybe when doing all that work you knocked something loose.
        2000 GTP<br />Thrasher CAI, 3.4\" pulley, DHP PCM<br />Member RedLineVSix<br />Best ET-14.02<br />Best Trap-97.15

Comment

I was thinking about that after I seafoamed it. The only vacuum line that I disconnected was the brake booster one, Im not sure where the other vacuum lines are, but Ill check it out.
          How can you test the spark plug wires?
          Thanks Shane

Comment

TTT

Comment

oh I forgot to mention that when I am in third it wont shift into 4th unless I tap the brakes, then it starts popping.
              Shane

Comment

Does the ses light even work? Could have blown out somewhere along the line.
                Turn your ignition on, and see if it lights up. If it doesn't, your probably holding some codes that will help you.

As for the 3rd gear than tapping the brakes to make it shift, I haven't got a clue That's friggin wierd!

-Marc
                sigpic

Comment

Hmmm, I think I'm leaning more towards ignition problems since you mentioned it not shifting correctly.

I think you need to make sure you've got the wires routed correctly. I'm betting you've got your firing order messed up.
                  2000 GTP<br />Thrasher CAI, 3.4\" pulley, DHP PCM<br />Member RedLineVSix<br />Best ET-14.02<br />Best Trap-97.15

Comment

Yeah, what John just said might give you somewhere to start. But at the same time, make sure those wires aren't running parrallel and touching each other, it will make it arc. I am betting you probably got some stock 7mm wires, which could make it do that. But double check that firing order as well.
                    1995 Pontiac Firebird
                    2008 Chevrolet Silverado LT Crew Cab 4x4

Comment

I going to agree with everyone else. Check your sparkplug wires/coilpaks and all vacuum hoses.
                      --Traded In--<br />1998 Navy Blue Metallic Camaro (RS)<br />3.8L V6 w/4L60E Auto<br />Sport Appearance Package<br />T-Tops - Loaded<br />_ _ _ _ __________________ _ _ _ _ <br /><br />--New--<br />2003 Victory Red S10 Xtreme w/Silver Stripes<br />2.2 L4 w/MW2 5 Speed Manual<br />LS Package

Comment

Well I do have wires over top of each other but they are taylor spiro pro 8mm. I changed my plugs today(well 4 of the 6 and were light grey) and it made a slight difference. Im am not ruling out vacuum lines but Im not sure how to check them or where their at for that matter.
                        I looked on the car for a diagram but didnt see one. I know where the brake booster is, but how many and where are the vacuum lines?
                        And I really appreciate your help!
                        Thanks,
                        Shane

[ December 29, 2003: Message edited by: snatch ]</p>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X